Virgin Money credit card being closed

Options
I have a Virgin Money credit card, that to be totally honest I forgot the account was still open, until looking at my credit file recently. It's been inactive since 2014 (with no balance and no spending on it) and was planning to call them and close the account.
But by coincidence, I received a letter today from them saying that when the current credit card expires, they will be closing the account. It didn't mention it's due to inactivity but sounded quite sinister saying they have a duty to lend responsibly. And they will inform the credit agencies they are closing the account.
I can only assume it's because I havnt used the card for so long. I have a very good salary and high limits on other cards and no adverse credit.
Will this affect my credit file if the card company cancels the card instead of me. I have every intention to call them tomorrow and request to close the account myself.

Comments

• PeacefulWaters
    Options
    Nothing derogatory on your credit file from it. Nothing sinister.

Don't waste your time ringing them. Let them crack on.
  • Irth
    Irth Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    That's good to hear. I don't need the card. Just wanted to clarify if it puts a negative on them closing it instead of me. I thought I cancelled it a long time ago but obviously I didn't. I'm not even sure when the card expires
  • Edi81
    Edi81 Posts: 1,447 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    It costs banks to keep these dormant accounts open. They need to hold capital and cash in case you decide to spend your entire limit tomorrow.

If they add that up over all their dormant accounts it's worth them doing it. It's not a reflection of you but then being sensible both towards customers and looking after their own interests.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure