PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Adding son's name on title register

Options
13»

Comments

• G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    atiq wrote: »
    Thank you for so much input. In the absence of a will, the reasons I wanted to add my son's name were the following.:
    (A) As I am in my late sixties, I wanted him to be the sole beneficiary (he is single atm) in case I Pre-decease him. Remember there is no mortgage involved.
    Just write a will.
    * Easier than transferring half the property
    * avoids complications
    * provides more certainty for him if you pre-decease him
    * more security for you
    * it's what wills are designed for!

(2) A few year down the line, (Whether I am alive or not), He could have some equity release to fund any investment plans etc he may have if he is ambitious.
    How?
    * you mean he could sell his half share? Who would buy it (and share a property with you)? Or would you buy it (in which case why not just keep i in your name now and give/lend him some money when he needs it)?
    * or he could use the equity to get a mortgage? Again how? As part-owner, your name would also need to be on the mortgage and... I don't know what age you are, but that might present problems.

Just write a will.

One thing which I am not sure about is the Inheritence Tax in case I was to go before him?
    What is the estimated total value of your estate likely to be? ie
    * value of the property +
    * your car, boat, helicopter +
    * your savings & investments
    * your coin collection, gold and jewelry
    * etc
  • gettingtheresometime
    Options
    Thank you for so much input. In the absence of a will, the reasons I wanted to add my son's name were the following.:
    (A) As I am in my late sixties, I wanted him to be the sole beneficiary (he is single atm) in case I Pre-decease him. Remember there is no mortgage involved.
    (2) A few year down the line, (Whether I am alive or not), He could have some equity release to fund any investment plans etc he may have if he is ambitious.
    One thing which I am not sure about is the Inheritence Tax in case I was to go before him?

a) As everyone has said make a will leaving him the house....far easier, no potential for any disasters to happen.

b) where would you live if these investment plans went south ? How would he gain the funds through equity release without selling the property? Where would you live then? If he was to mortgage the property, what would happen if he couldn't pay the mortgage & the property was repossessed?

c) what would happen if he met someone and decided he didn't want to live with you any more? Wouldn't he be liable for the higher rate stamp duty as any property he subsequently bought would be classed as a 2nd property.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    a) As everyone has said make a will leaving him the house....far easier, no potential for any disasters to happen.

b) where would you live if these investment plans went south ? How would he gain the funds through equity release without selling the property? Where would you live then? If he was to mortgage the property, what would happen if he couldn't pay the mortgage & the property was repossessed?

c) what would happen if he met someone and decided he didn't want to live with you any more? Wouldn't he be liable for the higher rate stamp duty as any property he subsequently bought would be classed as a 2nd property.
    The list of reasons for not doing this just gets longer and longer.

Writing a will is so simple, quick, cheap (or free) that it's the only sensible choice.

(unless there's more motivation that we don't yet know of).
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,221 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Are you a widow(er)? If so and your spouse passed everything on to you your IHT will start at £650k rather than 325.
  • atiq
    Options
    Many thanks Mojisola! Your last reply being the case, the value of the estate around £400.000, what would be Inheritence Tax scenario? if any
  • Jenniefour
    Options
    martindow wrote: »
    Are you a widow(er)? If so and your spouse passed everything on to you your IHT will start at £650k rather than 325.

That's right - forgot about that when I posted.
  • Jenniefour
    Options
    Many thanks Mojisola! Your last reply being the case, the value of the estate around £400.000, what would be Inheritence Tax scenario? if any

If you're a widower - the grand sum of nothing. If not 40% of 75k = £30k.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,470 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you're a widower - the grand sum of nothing.

That would depend on whether or not the late spouse had used any part of his IHT allowance to make gifts to anyone other than to his/her spouse.

There is also "family home" IHT Allowance to consider.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/inheritance-tax-main-residence-nil-rate-band-and-the-existing-nil-rate-band/inheritance-tax-main-residence-nil-rate-band-and-the-existing-nil-rate-band

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/inheritance-tax-residence-nil-rate-band

http://www.skerritts.co.uk/pages/10+things+advisers+need+to+know+about+the+residence+nil+rate+band
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure