Ashamed to be back again

Options

Comments

• fay66
    fay66 Posts: 744 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    my elec/gas for one person 2 bed house , is £56 a month and still under with iressa, pay monthly direct debit,
    my food shopping is only £200 at maximum, aldi is the best value and you can do it for less, and thats cooking from scratch, they have alot of meals that are prepped but fresh, I have 2 cats and 2 dogs, pay full rent and only earn £1456 per month rent is £425 per month , I buy my own flea stuff it works cheaper but vaccine them , prescriptions should be free unless painkillers. or pre paid prescription is £10 per month. my car is £160 per month for diesal . have you tried ubber or liftshare if your going to a regular place or have a bus pass?
    Debt £10k , HMRC £3K old debt £4k Jan 2021
    Had biatric surgery was 135k 2016 now 97kilo 22.1.20 up to 106 kilo 12.1.21
    Travel plans New York 2021 New year cancelled due to covid
  • PippaGirl_2
    Options
    fay66 wrote: »
    my elec/gas for one person 2 bed house , is £56 a month and still under with iressa, pay monthly direct debit,
    my food shopping is only £200 at maximum, aldi is the best value and you can do it for less, and thats cooking from scratch, they have alot of meals that are prepped but fresh, I have 2 cats and 2 dogs, pay full rent and only earn £1456 per month rent is £425 per month , I buy my own flea stuff it works cheaper but vaccine them , prescriptions should be free unless painkillers. or pre paid prescription is £10 per month. my car is £160 per month for diesal . have you tried ubber or liftshare if your going to a regular place or have a bus pass?

My house is 3 bed but probably costs more to heat because I'm always in it and can barely move so it's tricky keeping warm plus people with eating disorders are often always cold. My food shopping is more than most because of my eating disorder, I have so many fear foods I can't eat. I shop fortnightly online which restricts my shopping to stores to those that deliver. I am unable to travel by bus because the way it swings around corners is excruciating for my back, I have degenerative disc disease in my spine with facet joint disease and osteophytes, the latter are almost certainly pinching nerves from my spinal cord at present and the pain is indescribable. I'm under the care of the spinal clinic and pain clinic. This means my only usable transport is taxis and trains. I buy nutritional supplements because of my eating disorder, I am only prescribed Vitamin B12 if that's low at one of my regular blood tests. I also buy tryptophan and melatonin to help me sleep because both the eating disorder and depression causes insomnia and these two medications help. I have asked my CPN to make me an appointment with my psychiatrist to see if he'll agree to prescribe me tryptophan which he might or might not but I'd be very surprised if he'd prescribe the melatonin. GP's aren't allowed to prescribe tryptophan, only psychiatrists can.

Anyway, we're all different people with different needs and I don't feel it's helpful for someone to come along and say they spend less with the implication that therefore so should I. My circumstances are unique to me and it's hard feeling like I have to share personal information on this forum in order to justify myself. Right now I have enough stress in my life. :(
    "Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them." Dalai Lama
  • marliepanda
    Options
    PippaGirl wrote: »
    My house is 3 bed but probably costs more to heat because I'm always in it and can barely move so it's tricky keeping warm plus people with eating disorders are often always cold. My food shopping is more than most because of my eating disorder, I have so many fear foods I can't eat. I shop fortnightly online which restricts my shopping to stores to those that deliver. I am unable to travel by bus because the way it swings around corners is excruciating for my back, I have degenerative disc disease in my spine with facet joint disease and osteophytes, the latter are almost certainly pinching nerves from my spinal cord at present and the pain is indescribable. I'm under the care of the spinal clinic and pain clinic. This means my only usable transport is taxis and trains. I buy nutritional supplements because of my eating disorder, I am only prescribed Vitamin B12 if that's low at one of my regular blood tests. I also buy tryptophan and melatonin to help me sleep because both the eating disorder and depression causes insomnia and these two medications help. I have asked my CPN to make me an appointment with my psychiatrist to see if he'll agree to prescribe me tryptophan which he might or might not but I'd be very surprised if he'd prescribe the melatonin. GP's aren't allowed to prescribe tryptophan, only psychiatrists can.

Anyway, we're all different people with different needs and I don't feel it's helpful for someone to come along and say they spend less with the implication that therefore so should I. My circumstances are unique to me and it's hard feeling like I have to share personal information on this forum in order to justify myself. Right now I have enough stress in my life. :(

You need to realise though that as a second time bankrupt in a short time, some of those costs may not be accepted as necessary, especially supplements and medications that aren't prescribed so will not be counted as 'needs.'

Simply put, you cannot just keep running up debt and having it written off without some consequences to yourself.
  • luvchocolate
    Options
    You need to realise though that as a second time bankrupt in a short time, some of those costs may not be accepted as necessary, especially supplements and medications that aren't prescribed so will not be counted as 'needs.'

Simply put, you cannot just keep running up debt and having it written off without some consequences to yourself.

Please do not be judgemental on this forum, you do not know the whole story and Pippa has shared more than she needed to already.
    We are here to offer support and advice, please keep your thoughts to yourself.

Pippa I know its really hard for you right now please do not let this post get to you. You will get there x
  • marliepanda
    Options
    Please do not be judgemental on this forum, you do not know the whole story and Pippa has shared more than she needed to already.
    We are here to offer support and advice, please keep your thoughts to yourself.

Pippa I know its really hard for you right now please do not let this post get to you. You will get there x

Do you really believe with that level of spending on 'extras' that a debt relief order will be forthcoming? Because I'm not so sure, there is way more than £50 a month surplus income.
  • IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    edited 20 September 2017 at 10:17AM
    Options
    I don't think marliepanda is being judgmental. It's all well and good being supportive and telling the OP what they want to hear, but that's no use if the OR will disagree.

PippaGirl, you talk about melatonin, it's unlikely you will be prescribed that, but your psychiatrist can prescribe agomelatine (assuming it is not contraindicated for other reasons, for instance if you have a history of liver problems). It's a melatonergic, it mimics the actions of melatonin.

(Not medical advice, just something you might want to discuss with a medic.)

I have a very restrictive diet also, can I ask what foods you can eat? It's quite possible you can buy them at less cost than you are doing now. Others can often find cutbacks that we cannot see ourselves.

(Read back and saw your food groups, Aldi or Lidl is your answer. If you can't go yourself, would a befriending service be able to help? You just cover their transport costs. Batch cook for when you're not well enough to prepare food yourself, which will be far healthier than anything you buy in.)
  • IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    Options
    Labour introduced the bedroom tax in 2007, now they oppose it

I think its unfair and disagree with it.

Up here in Scotland the Scottish Government cant cancel the bedroom tax (Westminster reserved power) but DO pay it for Scots (through discretionary housing payments)

Labour are good at opposing things they introduced (ATOS assessments anyone)?

Where do people get this guff from?

As already explained Labour did not introduce the bedroom tax, there is no bedroom tax in the private sector.

Labour introduced Local Housing Allowance, which at the time was set at the 50th percentile of market rents. Few people were worse off, and for the first few years those who paid lower rents actually got to keep some of the excess.

The Tories brought in the Bedroom Tax. They reduced LHA rates from the 50th percentile to the 30th percentile. They changed the minimum age for the one bedroom rate from 25 to 35, anyone below that now only receives the shared rate.

The Tories scrapped the old council tax benefit and now allow councils to charge those in vulnerable low income groups. They protected their key support group, pensioners, as they did with the bedroom tax also.

I won't get started on the changes made to ESA, PIP, JSA ...

(Apologies for going off topic, but the amount of misinformation from skint is scary.)
  • debt_doctor
    Options
    Do you really believe with that level of spending on 'extras' that a debt relief order will be forthcoming? Because I'm not so sure, there is way more than £50 a month surplus income.
    I am an Authorised Intermediary for the Insolvency Service, and as such have assessed and processed hundreds of DROs.
    From reading this thread you will have seen I have already said that the op qualifies on surplus income grounds for a DRO. PIP is a disability benefit to pay for the unique requirements of any disability a person may have, and as such, no justification has to be given or itemised as to how it is spent.
    National Debt-line have also confirmed qualification for a DRO.

I am very grateful for my health and as such I prefer to support people less fortunate than myself and not put forward mini lectures and opinions on whether someone can gain a debt remedy when you clearly have no idea how such an assessment is made.
    DD
    Debt Doctor, Debt caseworker, Citizens' Advice Bureau .
    Impartial debt advice services: Citizens Advice Bureau Find your local CAB *** National Debtline - Tel: 0808 808 4000*** BSC No. 100 ***
  • marliepanda
    Options
    I am an Authorised Intermediary for the Insolvency Service, and as such have assessed and processed hundreds of DROs.
    From reading this thread you will have seen I have already said that the op qualifies on surplus income grounds for a DRO. PIP is a disability benefit to pay for the unique requirements of any disability a person may have, and as such, no justification has to be given or itemised as to how it is spent.
    National Debt-line have also confirmed qualification for a DRO.

I am very grateful for my health and as such I prefer to support people less fortunate than myself and not put forward mini lectures and opinions on whether someone can gain a debt remedy when you clearly have no idea how such an assessment is made.
    DD

OP is also a single person paying rent on a three bedroomed house. At some point these excessive spending is going to come up, whether you think her income doesn't cover her outgoings or not. It doesn't, because she is choosing for them to not cover it.

She may qualify for a DRO (unlikely, but, whatever you say. I'm not going to get into a qualification comparison contest...) but will be in the same situation shortly, with no access to credit, unable to pay her rent or her costs for her disability.

Its not a mini lecture, its not surrounding in cotton wool. Telling people paying for a house to big for their needs, excessive pet costs(for the amount of pets the cost is high) and medical costs which may or may not be covered by her PIP in full, is cloud cuckoo land and not helping anyone.

Honestly on this assessment how could anyone fail to get a DRO? Just move into a larger house than you need *instant* reduction in your excess income...
  • StopIt
    StopIt Posts: 1,470 Forumite
    Options
    OP is also a single person paying rent on a three bedroomed house. At some point these excessive spending is going to come up, whether you think her income doesn't cover her outgoings or not. It doesn't, because she is choosing for them to not cover it.

She may qualify for a DRO (unlikely, but, whatever you say. I'm not going to get into a qualification comparison contest...) but will be in the same situation shortly, with no access to credit, unable to pay her rent or her costs for her disability.

Its not a mini lecture, its not surrounding in cotton wool. Telling people paying for a house to big for their needs, excessive pet costs(for the amount of pets the cost is high) and medical costs which may or may not be covered by her PIP in full, is cloud cuckoo land and not helping anyone.

Honestly on this assessment how could anyone fail to get a DRO? Just move into a larger house than you need *instant* reduction in your excess income...

A DRO only works if you have less than £50 a month spare excluding debt payments.

It isn't for anyone with a negative surplus also. If the OP was losing £x a month after her PIP also, she would be declined. The PIP complicates matters but because it doesn't count as income, any expenses that it also covers can be balanced to it. So long as after that balancing is complete then there is less than £50, but not a negative surplus, a DRO is fine.

You cannot use a DRO to balance a situation where you are insolvent before debt payments.

In debt and looking for help? Look here for the MSE Debt Help Guide.
    Also, If you need any free and impartial debt advice, the National Debtline, Stepchange, and the CAB can help.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure