What's wrong with people.

Options
167891012»

Comments

• Anonymous101
    Options
    jimjames wrote: »
    I thought that everyone was like me and had emergency savings, it came as quite a surprise when others I know on similar or higher salaries and similar circumstances have revealed that they can't do something until payday or had built up substantial credit card debt.

I know lots of people that earn decent salaries and still live month to month.
    I think some people can end up there through circumstance, divorce or ill health, but most its just a case of having eyes bigger than their belly!
  • POPPYOSCAR
    POPPYOSCAR Posts: 14,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I used to think like this.

But losing a niece at the age of 30 and a nephew at 39 I am more inclined to say enjoy life while you can.

I encourage my own children to do a bit of both, some saving but more emphasis on living their lives to the full.
  • Puddylove
    Puddylove Posts: 507 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 14 September 2017 at 8:29AM
    Options
    I'm lucky in that money was never a problem for my parents, so I could afford to study, get qualifications which in turn mean I can earn a higher income than minimum wage.

I'm fortunate in that I can get additional contracts for PT work doing something.

But it really is luck, and I'd not take credit for it. I know many people who are far more deserving but through ill health or lack of opportunity, struggle.

And £200k is great, but even if others on minimum wage did save that, it won't last long if they have no or low pensions, or have to pay rent, or need to pay for care, have to leave work to look after someone else.

Lives can change in a second. Appreciate what you have but realise it's fragility.
  • longleggedhair
    longleggedhair Posts: 462 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 14 September 2017 at 11:02AM
    Options
    Agreed to a degree.

As for health agreed, I suffer with a debilitating long term condition, which will sooner rather than later result in me finishing work.

(Text removed by MSE Forum Team)
  • darkidoe
    darkidoe Posts: 1,125 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    POPPYOSCAR wrote: »
    I used to think like this.

But losing a niece at the age of 30 and a nephew at 39 I am more inclined to say enjoy life while you can.

I encourage my own children to do a bit of both, some saving but more emphasis on living their lives to the full.

It's a constant debate isn't it. Go for it, You only live once or to securing your future. Why not think of it this way, you only live once, therefore, secure your future financially and in health and not let disasters or unplanned illness/situations dictate what you need to do to survive or live. Choose to live by your own values and by your own call and not to others (Government, Debt, Society).

The key to enjoying life is experiences, it is much easier to get experiences with money, paying for the holiday, owning cars and paying for gratification etc. We work hard to gain money to give us access to these experiences. And how much of these experiences we need to keep us happy? Perhaps it is a mentality/perspective as much as feeding ourselves the experiences. We can chase experience all our lives and never get enough of it to keep us satisfied. Hence some turn to spirituality, religion etc but yet that might be just another experience we chase.

Going by Maslow's Hierarchy of needs, we can start by covering food, water, shelter and then we go further to security, relationships, achievements and self actualization. Humans don't need too much to be happy. Basic things can satisfy us very easily. Working on each level of the pyramid can gain us a certain amount of happiness. Achieving a healthy and fit body with a clear mind and inner peace covering the various aspects of Maslow's pyramid is probably the kind of lasting fulfillment that one needs.

If the above is your perspective, then perhaps you can possibly find happiness. If your perspective is to live everyday as if it's your last, then perhaps you might not be so happy after you live beyond your last day.

Tell yourself a simple story and make do with the simple story.

Save 12K in 2020 # 38 £0/£20,000
  • Puddylove
    Puddylove Posts: 507 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 14 September 2017 at 8:30AM
    Options
    Well, I wish you a long and happy retirement with the slowest possible progression of your condition.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure