Quote for small bathroom refurb very high?

Options
2»

Comments

• trailingspouse
    Options
    For materials, I think he may be meaning all the consumables - grout, sealant, tile spacers, piping, etc etc etc?

When we had our bathrooms done, we sourced the 'pretty' stuff ourselves, and our plumber sourced everything else. He charges £150 per day for labour, and took 3 weeks for the main bathroom (very large, with a complicated tiling design on the floor) including removal of the old bathroom, repositioning the toilet and soil pipe, plastering and tiling.

At the end of the day if you think the quote is too high, get other quotes.
    No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...
  • MagicMoneyTree
    Options
    I've used Mybuilder.com extensively in the past for jobs like this. I post the requirement and gather around 4-5 quotes, then go with the best ratio of good reviews to reasonable price. The fact you can review them when the work is complete tends to keep them accountable and honest.
  • phill99
    phill99 Posts: 9,093 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I run property maintenance company and major on bathrooms and kitchens.
    I wouldn't take this job on unless it was a block of 8 days. If you want him off site for a couple of days, he will probably not have other work to go too. So realistically you are messing him around.

You need to get other quotes.
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
  • Cisco001
    Cisco001 Posts: 4,025 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 12 September 2017 at 4:07PM
    Options
    To save labour, you can consider bathroom wall panel.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    So you are proposing to install the shower, and then tile it? That's the wrong way around: the enclosure should be fitted onto the tiles.
    And, in the interim period, your walls are going to get waterlogged, should you want to have a shower.
    Time is money, and expecting someone to split it into 2 or 3 sessions for no good reason is just daft: he'd have to move all his tools in and out, face delayed payment, etc.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • Nile
    Nile Posts: 14,930 Ambassador
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi, we move threads if we think they’ll get more help elsewhere (please read the forum rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board. If you have any questions about this policy please email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.

I’ve moved your thread from the 'In my home' board to the ‘Is This Quote Fair?’ board, where it is better suited.

Regards

Nile
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the 'I wanna' and 'In my home' and Health & Beauty'' boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure