Engine management light

Options
2»

Comments

• stujimwill
    Options
    macman wrote: »
    How are you intending to prove that the dealer rigged the EML? It could have been done by the previous owner(s).
    Checking both the EML and airbag light illuminate at switch on is surely something you checked on the test drive?
    What is the mileage and service history?

Daughter took it for test drive, only passed test so she not expected to look for them things, bit nieve on my part as overlooked it, but surely when the dealer got it mot'd he should have noticed that both lights never illuminated on ignition and investigated as to why. As for checking fault codes there were no EML on to highlight on fault with the ECU. I've since been told of the government website where you can check past mot's and mileage and it has been tampered with because in 2007 mot mileage was 30,100 and mot in 2008 mileage was 1,646.
  • stujimwill
    Options
    So a service may cure all your faults but you wont service it because its got faults?

Its a 13 year old car. Either spend some money on it or buy a brand new car instead. Old cars need love to keep them happy and that involves fixing things and not letting the fault get worse first.

Yes it's a 13 year old car and I realise it will have a few problems associated with age, but for the car to lose all power when driving within 5 weeks of buying it well to me it's not fit for purpose and a considerable danger to the driver if on motorway and an AGV behind and the car loses all power. As for buying a new car, well some people aren't blessed with that kind of free cash flow.
    Plus on talking to a few garages the problem is not something a service would cure.
  • Mercdriver
    Mercdriver Posts: 3,898 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    stujimwill wrote: »
    Daughter took it for test drive, only passed test so she not expected to look for them things, bit nieve on my part as overlooked it, but surely when the dealer got it mot'd he should have noticed that both lights never illuminated on ignition and investigated as to why. As for checking fault codes there were no EML on to highlight on fault with the ECU. I've since been told of the government website where you can check past mot's and mileage and it has been tampered with because in 2007 mot mileage was 30,100 and mot in 2008 mileage was 1,646.

I couldn't be expected to know everything to look for when I had just passed my test, so I didn't go by myself. You can't expect companies to go easy on a new driver, even if you might like them to.

Were you there with your daughter or did she go round by herself? I'm carp on mechanical things, so I always take someone with me when test driving cars.

As for the checks, they are basic checks you should always do from your mobile while looking around a dealer's site or from home if looking on the website if they have made the VRN available.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure