'Best' kitten food

Options
Just wondering what food brands everyone thinks is best (particularly for kittens but interested to know about cats too!).
Currently definitely not feeding the best so might be nice to have a small list of alternatives to try them with.

Want to keep diet mainly wet with some dry because I'm out a long time.

I am familiar with zooplus but not everything on there is the best so just thought I'd see what others say! I know grain free and high protein in general are considered good but which meet this criteria?
Trying to lose weight (13.5lb to go)

Comments

• GwylimT
    GwylimT Posts: 6,530 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If you're out a long time have someone pop in or get a timed feeder.

Good wet on zooplus are
    Bozita tins (not tetra packs)
    Grau
    Granatapet
    Animonda
    Feringa
    Catz fine food
    Lillys kitchen
  • marliepanda
    Options
    HappyKittyCompany is a UK based seller so a bit cheaper than zooplus and has better brands of grain free wet food. My cats favourite is MACS. Comes in super cheap large tins which I put into a tupperware and keep in the fridge. One large tin feeds my large breed cats 4 meals each (so 8 meals) for just over £2 and a wide variety of flavours.

They do other good brands too but theyre a bit more spendy. They also do good grain free dry food as well, and postage is free when you buy over a certain weight (costs me about £30-40 an order for a months food.

Also kittens are cats :P If you feed a high quality food then you don't need to worry about kitten food vs cat food :)
  • wort
    wort Posts: 1,676 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I feed raw, which can be bought ready made, or make your own, it can be put in timed feeders, but once kitten is over 12 months can be fed just twice a day.
    If making yourself it needs to be 80% meat 10% bone 10% organ.
    Cats are obligate carnivores and can't digest veg and fillers,. Raw gives a wonderful shiny coat and soft fur, they only need small amount as nothing is wasted, and best of all poo doesn't smell:T
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
  • auburnette
    Options
    We feed our 5 mo kitten a wet rotation diet to try and stop him getting fussy :D so he gets:

Lily's kitchen (both the adult and kitten meaty varieties)
    The Cheshire Cat
    Country Hunter
    Cosma
    Thrive - although he doesn't like it!!
    Applaws - both the cans and the pouches
    James Wellbeloved

and we also feed a lot of Natural Instinct raw, all flavours except the fish go down well. He also gets occasional frozen day old chicks. Cheaper to feed this way than to feed cans or pouches but we don't want him to be used to just one brand in case we stop being able to get it. He doesn't seem to have problems switching it up a lot as all the foods are high quality.

We free feed dry which is currently Almo Nature / N&D grain free chicken and pomegranate. Interested in Orijen once the Almo runs out and we move to a more restricted diet. Currently he gets as much as he will eat really of both wet and dry.

Yes, the cat is spoilt!
  • Merlin's_Beard
    Options
    Kittens have a higher energy requirement per body size, because they're growing. So kitten food is higher calories, protein and fats than cat food to account for that. They also have a different need for vitamins and minerals, especially calcium and phosphorus, because bones and muscles are growing all the time.

So whatever you get, you definitely need the kitten version and not the cat one.
    Start mortgage date: August 2022; Start mortgage amount: £240,999; Original mortgage free date: August 2056
    Current mortgage amount: £233.529.75
    Start student loan 2012: £29,750; current student loan: £11.400.50; OP offset fund: £750
  • GwylimT
    GwylimT Posts: 6,530 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Kittens have a higher energy requirement per body size, because they're growing. So kitten food is higher calories, protein and fats than cat food to account for that. They also have a different need for vitamins and minerals, especially calcium and phosphorus, because bones and muscles are growing all the time.

So whatever you get, you definitely need the kitten version and not the cat one.

That is only true for the poor quality brands, e.g felix, good quality food doesn't need to follow the marketing gimmic of kitten food as good quality cat food isn't mainly maize.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure