Malwarebytes & Bitdefender

Options
I have downloaded Malwarebyes and bought a 1 year licence as advised here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5705956

I was also as advised and downloaded Bitdefender.

However Bitdefender id trying to remove Malwarebytes.

Why?

If these are not compatable - why? and cound someone please suggest a removal tool for bitdefender

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Having multiple real time scanners working at the same time is not a good idea. Decide which one you want to do realtime scanning and disable realtime scanning on the other one.

For future reference if you're running Windows 10 then Windows Defender is more than enough.
  • grumpycrab
    grumpycrab Posts: 4,989 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    aardvaak wrote: »
    However Bitdefender is trying to remove Malwarebytes.
    Don't know about any incompatibility but nothing wrong with Bitdefender as an ANTI-VIRUS product (and better than Windows).
    The Malwarebytes that I have used in the past was NOT AN ANTI-VIRUS product and typically used as a MALWARE scanner; I don't use the real-time malware scanning component(s).
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
  • Frozen_up_north
    Options
    I use the paid for Malwarebytes alongside the included Win 10 A/V. There is no clash between them. Unlike the free version, the paid for M/Bytes monitors files and activities in real time, it appears to be far more effective than a typical anti-virus and program.
  • aardvaak
    aardvaak Posts: 5,833 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Could someone please suggest a removal tool for bitdefender?
  • grumpycrab
    grumpycrab Posts: 4,989 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    aardvaak wrote: »
    Could someone please suggest a removal tool for bitdefender?
    Does the standard uninstall fail? (Control Panel -> Uninstall a program);
    Uninstaller (you need to know what product you installed!) -> https://www.bitdefender.com/uninstall/

If still stuck Google "revo uninstaller free"
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
  • RumRat
    RumRat Posts: 4,794 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    It does just uninstall via the usual methods, no need for any special 'tool'.
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
  • abibee
    abibee Posts: 441 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    I had exactly the same problem the other week, tried installing Bitdefender free on a laptop, and it wanted to remove Malwarebytes, so I cancelled the install and went with Panda free instead, no problems with that.

Though the install was cancelled, there was leftover a 'register bitdefender free' screen on the computer, oh well.
  • Sicard
    Sicard Posts: 851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    RumRat wrote: »
    It does just uninstall via the usual methods, no need for any special 'tool'.

I uninstalled BitDefender via usual methods because I wanted the boot-time scan facility of Avast which does pick up things missed by a windows scan. There was one file left somewhere which I couldn't get rid of which threw up an error message when closing down. Now I've used the BD uninstall tool it's gone.
    You know what uranium is, right? It's this thing called nuclear weapons. And other things. Like lots of things are done with uranium. Including some bad things.
    Donald Trump, Press Conference, February 16, 2017

• RumRat
    RumRat Posts: 4,794 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Sicard wrote: »
    I uninstalled BitDefender via usual methods because I wanted the boot-time scan facility of Avast which does pick up things missed by a windows scan. There was one file left somewhere which I couldn't get rid of which threw up an error message when closing down. Now I've used the BD uninstall tool it's gone.

When I uninstalled from my laptop it left nothing and I have had no problems. I guess it may be one of those things that either does or doesn't, who knows? :)
    I still have it on my office PC, but, the only thing I've uninstalled there was 'Home Scan'.
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
  • Sicard
    Sicard Posts: 851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    RumRat wrote: »
    When I uninstalled from my laptop it left nothing and I have had no problems. I guess it may be one of those things that either does or doesn't, who knows? :)
    I still have it on my office PC, but, the only thing I've uninstalled there was 'Home Scan'.

I spoke too soon, the error message has returned on shut down. It's not a huge problem so I can live with it :)
    You know what uranium is, right? It's this thing called nuclear weapons. And other things. Like lots of things are done with uranium. Including some bad things.
    Donald Trump, Press Conference, February 16, 2017

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport