PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Turnkey question

Options

Comments

• Slithery
    Slithery Posts: 6,046 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    No.

Why would he even have an itemised cost for each room?
  • phill99
    phill99 Posts: 9,093 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I am a builder and I find tradesmens approach to invoicing hit and miss. I require my subbies to give me an invoice with their name, address and phone number on it as well as a brief narrative of the work they have done. Its only fair that I have a record of what they are invoicing me for.

If I was a homeowner I would expect that same.

An awful lot of tradesmen seem to think that acting professionally and providing customers with invoices doesn't apply to them.
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
  • Cardinal-Red
    Options
    It might be the very fact that he is not VAT registered that is driving this.

If the builder subcontracts the work to the tiler who is not VAT registered, then the builder would have to charge you VAT on a supply which would not have VAT on when invoiced to you directly by the tiler; therefore saving you 20%?

(I'm ignoring the VAT question of whether the works are zero rated for now as there seems to be an assumption that VAT is involved here).
    The above facts belong to everybody; the opinions belong to me; the distinction is yours to draw...
  • societys_child
    Options
    You agreed a price, pay it.

What difference would a room by room breakdown make?

It's not as if you're trying to get out of paying is it . . .
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,218 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm not clear whether you agree with the figure on the invoice or are suggesting that you would like to deduct the 500 Pounds the builder has paid from it.

If it is the correct figure and you are happy with the work then give him a cheque. If he is above board a cheque would be fine. What I would not do is pay with cash.
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    some rather ill informed comment regarding invoices on here

the contents of an invoice are laid out in tax law and apply whether the trader is VAT registered or not

see here:
    https://www.gov.uk/invoicing-and-taking-payment-from-customers/invoices-what-they-must-include

a scrap of paper as described is not an invoice and , as OP suspects, is probably related to the tiler aiming to keep the payment out of his books. Whatever you do don't pay cash - unless you get a sizeable discount....
  • eithnemc
    Options
    00ec25 wrote: »
    some rather ill informed comment regarding invoices on here

the contents of an invoice are laid out in tax law and apply whether the trader is VAT registered or not

see here:
    https://www.gov.uk/invoicing-and-taking-payment-from-customers/invoices-what-they-must-include

a scrap of paper as described is not an invoice and , as OP suspects, is probably related to the tiler aiming to keep the payment out of his books. Whatever you do don't pay cash - unless you get a sizeable discount....

Thank you for clarifying what I already suspected...
  • eithnemc
    Options
    phill99 wrote: »
    I am a builder and I find tradesmens approach to invoicing hit and miss. I require my subbies to give me an invoice with their name, address and phone number on it as well as a brief narrative of the work they have done. Its only fair that I have a record of what they are invoicing me for.

If I was a homeowner I would expect that same.

An awful lot of tradesmen seem to think that acting professionally and providing customers with invoices doesn't apply to them.

Thank you for clarifying this...
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 10 September 2017 at 5:10PM
    Options
    eithnemc wrote: »
    Do you think I have the right to ask for an invoice dated with his address and work itemised for each room

You have the right to ask for an invoice written in boilerplate on velum delivered by a unicorn.

He is under no obligation to provide one.

Seriously, please explain what difference it would make to you if he writes "tiling £600" or "tiling room 1 £200, tiling room 2 £200, tiling room 3 £200, discount for 3 rooms £100, total cost £500"

??

And why its part of a VAT fiddle if he doenstw rte "spaces £25, adhesive £47, 3 rooms £297, blah blah blah"

Pay him by cheque and stop being so ridiculuous, if i was him i'd be thinking you are trying to get out of paying. Once he provides an invoice by room you'll want the exact number of tiles paid per room, once he does that you'll want the square meterage of adhesive, ad infinitum.

Just pay him, hes done the work. Jeez. I had a plaster at my house last year. he wanted £300, i agreed, i paid him. I didn't care about bits of paper, just the quality of the work.
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    eithnemc wrote: »
    Our new home is turnkey.
    Apart from the fact that I keep on misreading "turnkey" as "turkey", this doesn't sound "turnkey" to me? Surely the whole point of turnkey is that you walk into your new house without having to pay contractors and negotiate what the invoices etc look like?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure