M25 speeding

Options
Hi,
I was travelling south on the m25 last night (I think around junction 10?) and the variable speed limit changed to 20 mph even though the motorway was fairly quiet (I didn't see it change to this , I just got to part of the motorway that had this limit displayed) . I started to slow down , but literally nobody else slowed down so it would have been very dangerous to drive at 20. I think I slowed down to about 40, but even then people were over taking me . Not one person drove at 20.

Has anyone else had an experience like this ? I am very worried as I'll probably get a ticket , and I haven't been driving long so I could also lose my license :(

Comments

• Warwick_Hunt
    Options
    C8957 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I was travelling south on the m25 last night (I think around junction 10?) and the variable speed limit changed to 20 mph even though the motorway was fairly quiet (I didn't see it change to this , I just got to part of the motorway that had this limit displayed) . I started to slow down , but literally nobody else slowed down so it would have been very dangerous to drive at 20. I think I slowed down to about 40, but even then people were over taking me . Not one person drove at 20.

Has anyone else had an experience like this ? I am very worried as I'll probably get a ticket , and I haven't been driving long so I could also lose my license :(

Are you already on three points?
  • C8957
    C8957 Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    Are you already on three points?

I don't have any currently , but I'm worried I'll get 6 as I was going quite a lot faster than 20
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Options
    It's a waiting game I'm afraid, to see if you get a ticket. Everyone else's speed isn't a defence if you do.
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    If your V5C has the correct address on it you will know within 14 days if you are in a spot of bother or not. Nothing you can do till then.
  • Nodding_Donkey
    Options
    Judging by the way everyone else seems to ignore the posted limits on that bit of the M25 I don't think there are many cameras about there.
  • wymondham
    wymondham Posts: 6,354 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I frequently drive at the variable limit on the M25 and people flash and gesticulate to me, especially lorry drivers.... never sure if the speed limits are 'left over' from old accidents etc...
  • HogMan
    HogMan Posts: 191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    the variable speed limit changed to 20 mph

Are you sure?

I have never seen a variable speed sign on any motorway that showed less than 40. Even when traffic is stationary or very slow the signs still show 40.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    HogMan wrote: »
    Are you sure?

I have never seen a variable speed sign on any motorway that showed less than 40. Even when traffic is stationary or very slow the signs still show 40.

I have seen it as low as 20 but only ever when the traffic has already been forced to slow to a lower speed than that anyway. I'd agree that in most circumstances 40 seems to be the lowest speed displayed.
  • HogMan
    HogMan Posts: 191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    That sounds logical. Often the signs step down. Going straight down to 20 on an otherwise clear road seems very strange.
  • C8957
    Options
    HogMan wrote: »
    Are you sure?

I'm positive it was 20- someone was in the car with me who also remembers . It was a very strange situation . It would have been dangerous if I drove at that speed :(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure