PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

does this mean i cannot erect a sky dish on the front of my house....

Options
2»

Comments

• rosyw
    rosyw Posts: 519 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    The covenant say no dishes larger than 600 mm, a Sky dish is 600 mm, so is not larger, what's the problem?
  • ariba10
    ariba10 Posts: 5,432 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Our Satellite dish is out in our back garden on the Garage wall about six foot from the floor.

It is directed over the house towards the Satellite.

All the other houses in the street have them on the front of the house.
    I used to be indecisive but now I am not sure.
  • nomoneytoday
    Options
    We have a similar covenant banning dishes.
    The solutions locally are:

Go with a non-dish provider (i.e. IPTV, cable)
    Install a dish out of site (ours is in the back garden, below the 6foot fence height)
    Install a camouflage style aerial (the ones that look like bricks)
  • stator
    stator Posts: 7,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    When was the house built ?
    Unless you are living on an estate that is still being built and sold then the chances of that covenant being enforced are < 1%
    Most Sky dishes are smaller than 600mm anyway, so you don't have anything to worry about!
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
  • the_shreksta
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. House was built about 3 weeks ago and yes Jelsons are on site for another 12 months.

Nowhere in writing does it say I cannot so I may as well take my chances. The sky engineer is coming this afternoon so will see where he says it needs to be.

There is Only 5 other completed houses on my street and none of those have dishes up.

As it's not in writing I'm guessing they cannot enforce it?
  • thebigstillmeister
    Options
    My last house was on a very large new housing estate and we had the exact same thing about not allowing Satellite dishes... within a few months it was impossible to find a house that didn't have one,

The sales lady told us about it when we were first starting to look at the houses and said don't worry, everyone will have one,

She also showed us a plan of the estate and highlighted all the the speed calming measures which were lots of bollards all the way up the roads, and a raising bollard to only allow buses out of one of the main roads out of the estate, she also said they will never get installed,.. and she was right, the bollards never appeared,

i think they propose certain things to get the planning permission to build the houses.
  • stator
    stator Posts: 7,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The fact that they have said no larger than 600mm clearly indicates that they are happy for normal Sky dishes to be installed.
    It's the larger satellites that people often install if they want to access foreign language satellite services that can be a bit of an eye sore.
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
  • theartfullodger
    Options
    ProDave wrote: »
    A sky dish is no larger than 600mm so is already exempted from that covenant.

Except Scotland , 800, the satellite signal is weaker (look at the geometry)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure