Part of my PC exploded and damaged the rest, am I covered?

Options
The (newish) power supply in my desktop computer exploded a week or so ago and because it was well within warranty, I sent it off to be replaced.

They found it was faulty and replaced it.

After installing the new power supply, the PC won't turn on. When the first one exploded it must have sent a surge of electricity or something through the PC and broken it.

I have a pretty good contents policy from Barclays, but it isn't clear if it is covered. Does anyone know if it would be? And how I should word a claim to make sure it is?

The only relevant clause I can find is that "electrical breakdown" is not covered. But this isn't really what I would be claiming for, it's the damaged caused by an electrical failure. Similar to if a washing machine floods a kitchen - the washing machine can be replaced but is the flood damage covered?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated - to replace the PC will leave me around £1000 out of pocket! :'(:'(

Comments

• tempus_fugit
    Options
    In the case of the washing machine generally the resultant damage is covered under the "escape of water" clause. Which clause would you feel that the electrical damage would be covered under? Also, do you have accidental damage cover for your contents?
    Retired at age 56 after having "light bulb moment" due to reading MSE and its forums. Have been converted to the "budget to zero" concept and use YNAB for all monthly budgeting and long term goals.
  • mad_pc_man
    Options
    I was using the washing machine example as an analogy, I don't know what this case would be covered by (if anything).

I think I do have accidental damage yes, would I count under that?
  • tempus_fugit
    tempus_fugit Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 6 September 2017 at 10:22PM
    Options
    Possibly, yes. Might be worth speaking to your insurers if you do have accidental damage cover. I can't think of any of the standard clauses that would ordinarily cover it.
    Retired at age 56 after having "light bulb moment" due to reading MSE and its forums. Have been converted to the "budget to zero" concept and use YNAB for all monthly budgeting and long term goals.
  • ThePants999
    Options
    Are you sure the new power supply isn't simply DOA?

FWIW, even if the PSU did surge on one or more of its outputs (which would be quite unusual), it's pretty unlikely that everything in the PC is dead.
  • mad_pc_man
    Options
    Yeah it has a button to do a self test which works, and also when you go to turn it on, it makes a sound like a relay clicking off, I guess for protection?
  • rs65
    rs65 Posts: 5,682 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think this is still a warranty claim rather than an insurance claim.
  • Sparx
    Sparx Posts: 909 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Did the power supply not come with a guarantee e.g. If it fried other components with it, they'll cover the replacement costs?

If not I imagine it was a cheap nasty PSU was it? Never skimp on cheap PSUs.... What happens is exactly what you experienced. :(
  • mad_pc_man
    Options
    Yeah I never skimp on the PSU, this was a £150 corsair hx750i - really surprised it went bang!

I've contacted them already but their customer support was useless. They kept trying to get me to RMA the PSU and couldn't understand I'd already done that and was now talking about the damage it had done to the rest of it
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    mad_pc_man wrote: »
    Yeah I never skimp on the PSU, this was a £150 corsair hx750i - really surprised it went bang!

I've contacted them already but their customer support was useless. They kept trying to get me to RMA the PSU and couldn't understand I'd already done that and was now talking about the damage it had done to the rest of it

Look at the T+C of the warranty, it may not cover damage to other components

Are your other components still in warranty?
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • mad_pc_man
    Options
    Some might be, it's been built over the years.

It's really hard to test what is actually broken or not
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport