Can I clear a default off my credit score??

Options
13»

Comments

• Narkynewt
    Options
    andrewd28 wrote: »
    Haha thanks everyone. I'm going to phone the company nevertheless and try and speak to some sort of management. Only issue have now is remembering who the debt was with! It was initially with Orange mobile and was passed on. All I can remember is I'm sure they were based in Scotland and the company name they used consisted of only 3 letters. PDA PDI ..::: it's literally just come to me! PRA GROUP WAHOO
    PRA Group will not remove the default from your credit file just because you pay it. I am currently in dispute with them regarding a default on my credit file from almost 5 years ago.

Some lenders still accept applications from individuals with defaults. The older they are the better, so I would perhaps wait until this default is at least 4 years old before applying for a mortgage.

You could put a note on your credit file yourself explaining the circumstances if you wish.

Good luck with everything!
  • cjmillsnun
    Options
    Ficofuture wrote: »
    From experience, it can be done

Just because you dont know how to do it doesnt make it "unlikely"

And if you had a default on your file, and could get it removed.......you would

I believe you are referring to the American FICO system.

It absolutely cannot be done in the UK unless you can prove that the default was incorrectly added. Defaults remain on your credit file for 6 years as do CCJs and any late payments.

Our system is different to yours.
    2.88 kWp System, SE Facing, 30 Degree Pitch, 12 x 240W Conergy Panels, Samil Solar River Inverter, Havant, Hampshire. Installed July 2012, acquired by me on purchase of house in August 2017
  • nic_c
    nic_c Posts: 2,929 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Ficofuture wrote: »
    One persons experience does not make something extremely unlikely, and having a negative attitude means you are doomed before you start.........if you try being positive and make your best efforts, it can be done, and you have nothing to lose by trying.
    Though giving someone false hope isn't fair either. The OP had a debt run up (albeit by someone else running up the bill) that they couldn't afford to pay off, so it defaulted, though they have since paid some to a DCA. I assume they will still be dealing with the DCA. There is absolutely no reason the DCA would remove the default, as said it is a true reflection.

The only time I could see a default been removed was if it was a new default and you negotiated with the creditor whilst it was still fresh. If the creditor has to have DCAs involved they are highly unlikely to then remove the default.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure