PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Student Accommodation need to cancel at last minute

Options

Comments

• Cirias
    Cirias Posts: 68 Forumite
    Options
    If I ran a uni at the moment I'd be bringing out fold-up chairs into the lecture halls to cram more students in, lol. Seriously, the only limitation on a course is physical space right? Surely seminars can be made larger or dotted about to accommodate for the increased number of students.
  • WibblyGirly
    Options
    Cirias, my uni would break the classes into 2 groups and the lecturer would just repeat the lessons each week. Also benefitted students if you couldn't make it to your scheduled class you could go to the other one.
  • dimbo61
    dimbo61 Posts: 13,720 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Most Universities offer first year students University accommodation in University owned halls or Private halls affiliated with the UNI.
    Ask your friend to contact the university and find out what has happened
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    OP is not telling the whole story here, perhaps a dodgy 'college' with a scam course. For two years in the row now too
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • lknights1987
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your replies. The course that she was suppose to be on was a dentistry course through BPP University in Birmingham but apparently there facilities weren't up to scratch so they binned the course at the last minute . Last year she was due to start the same course and after checking into the accommodation in Birmingham she was told a couple of days later they had overbooked the course and to come back next year. They have !!!!!!ed her up good and proper. No job to go back to and now trying to get the accommodation agreement cancelled.
  • BorisThomson
    Options
    Are there any courses at the proper Birmingham universities that she might want to do/ be eligible for/ have spaces?
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 6 September 2017 at 9:38PM
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your replies. The course that she was suppose to be on was a dentistry course through BPP University in Birmingham but apparently there facilities weren't up to scratch so they binned the course at the last minute . Last year she was due to start the same course and after checking into the accommodation in Birmingham she was told a couple of days later they had overbooked the course and to come back next year. They have !!!!!!ed her up good and proper. No job to go back to and now trying to get the accommodation agreement cancelled.

I think your friend needs to wise up and actually either get into a vocational training job, get some qualifications through the right channels and get street wise

btw the dentistry courses they are offering are Master degrees, are you sure your friend is telling the truth?

http://www.bpp.com/bpp-university/postgraduate-programmes/masters-in-clinical-dentistry
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,853 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've lived around Birmingham for 15 years. First time I've ever heard of BPP.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • harrys_dad
    harrys_dad Posts: 1,997 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    BPP is a privately run for profit university, funded solely through tuition fees. What does your friend have in writing? If they are going to be considerably out of pocket they may need to consider taking some sort of action against the "university". You may consider cross posting on the consumer board.
  • SuzieSue
    SuzieSue Posts: 4,097 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Doozergirl wrote: »
    I've lived around Birmingham for 15 years. First time I've ever heard of BPP.

You wouldn't have done. They have been going for decades and started off providing professional training courses for Law and Accountancy graduates in the major cities. They have recently started providing university degrees all around the country so there is no reason you would have heard of them unless you were thinking of doing a degree or if you walked past one of their centres.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure