Skip left on my property

Options
Looking for advice.
I had some trouble with my builders and had to get rid of them. They left a skip they hired on my property and filled it with rubbish from other jobs. They wont remove it and the skip hire company wont remove it unless the builder pays them (although i think they are mates and in it together anyway).

How can i get rid of this skip ????

I've already written to the builder and informed them ill be charging day rent, but they dont care. There must be some way to force them to remove it!!???

Comments

• Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You would have to take them to court.

Probably easier to pay and then use the courts to claim the money back.

Unless you could move it yourself!
  • SkipWoes
    Options
    They wont take money to remove the skip. They are doing it to "teach me a lesson" for sacking them.

One idea was to inform them they have X days to collect there property from my land after which i will take ownership and dispose of it. ?
  • TheCyclingProgrammer
    Options
    How are they still getting on to your property?
  • SkipWoes
    Options
    Skip is on my driveway right next to public driveway from road. You can back a vehicle up the public portion right up to the skip which sits on my private driveway.

Its full now, so cant get anything else in it.
  • Wookey
    Wookey Posts: 812 Forumite
    Options
    Inform the skip owner that you will be billing them rental for taking up space if the skip isn't removed. His dispute with the builders is nothing to do with you (unless you ordered the skip with him) and as such he either removes it or you bill him.
    Norn Iron Club member No 353
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    SkipWoes wrote: »
    They wont take money to remove the skip. They are doing it to "teach me a lesson" for sacking them.

One idea was to inform them they have X days to collect there property from my land after which i will take ownership and dispose of it. ?

I meant pay the skip comnay then take the builder to court.
  • hammy1988
    Options
    In the night empty the rubbish onto the public road, when the council comes sniffing. Say you have no idea why it's on your land, and give the council their details. They will soon shift it.
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Did they hire the skip before you sacked them? If so it will have to be paid for. Have you offered to pay the skip company directly?
  • SkipWoes
    Options
    I've offered to pay the skip company directly, but they wont have it.
    The builder has turned into a sociopath and cannot be bargained with.

Cant empty the rubbish onto the road. apart from that being a crappy thing to do to my neighbors, i could be charged with fly-tipping if caught (and knowing my luck, i would be!).

I think i will send a letter to the skip owner giving them X days to remove it, after which ill charge them rent per day. Then also state that should the skip not be removed after a month or so, ill consider it abandoned and dispose of it, charging them for the cost of removal.

Trouble is, ive used the small claims court before to try and recover money. And even though the court ruled in my favor and bailiffs were appointed, nothing happened and ive never seen any money back (including the SCC fees!). So i really dont want to go down that route.
  • parking_question_chap
    parking_question_chap Posts: 2,694 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 5 September 2017 at 4:10PM
    Options
    Phone up another company and see if they will take it away for a reasonable cost, and let them keep it.

Or just call the actual skip owners and advise you have sold it to another skip company and let them know it will be gone by x date. The fear or losing their property might hasten them into action.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure