Options
2»

Comments

• tenchy
    tenchy Posts: 486 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    MEM62 wrote: »
    And just what exactly are we acquiescing to? Nothing!

The situation is simple. The debt collectors are looking for someone at your address that is not you. You have a choice; tell them is isn't you and show them some ID so they go away. Or be an !!! and have further visits.

This is not an erosion of our civil liberties or 'the man' stepping all over our freedoms. Believe it or not, we are not living in 1960's America. It's just the most straightforward way of dealing with the situation and avoiding further inconvenience.

It's really straightforward actually. You tell them "so and so doesn't live here, so don't come back. If you do come back I'll consider it harassment and may report you to the police." I cannot imagine anything more stupid than to disclose identification documents to someone, whoever they are, on your doorstep.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,888 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    tenchy wrote: »
    It's really straightforward actually. You tell them "so and so doesn't live here, so don't come back. If you do come back I'll consider it harassment and may report you to the police." I cannot imagine anything more stupid than to disclose identification documents to someone, whoever they are, on your doorstep.

May work with debt collectors as they have no powers whatsoever.

County court bailiffs may think twice as well.

The same cannot be said for HCEO's who are officers of the court and carry a warrant signed by The high court.

Telling them to eff off and been uncooperative would just result in police attendance and possible arrest, and all for something that's nothing to do with you.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • alastairq
    alastairq Posts: 5,030 Forumite
    Options
    The same cannot be said for HCEO's who are officers of the court and carry a warrant signed by The high court.

Telling them to eff off and been uncooperative would just result in police attendance and possible arrest, and all for something that's nothing to do with you.

They would identify themselves in a correct & proper manner. They would prove their Rights to the person answering the door. Unlikely, then, the response to Efforff would be justified?

A world of difference, then, from the approach of a mere debt collector?
    No, I don't think all other drivers are idiots......but some are determined to change my mind.......
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure