PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

How long should it take to sell an avergage house without chain

Options
ric1982
ric1982 Posts: 222 Forumite
edited 5 September 2017 at 10:03AM in House buying, renting & selling
Wondering how long (and how many attempts) does it take to sell a house (wihtout chain). Not talking about large mansions, house that requires major works but just an averge house in an area.

Just start from selling house to completion.

Comments

• anto164
    anto164 Posts: 174 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    How long is a piece of string?

Depends where, price, time of year etc.
  • ProDave
    ProDave Posts: 3,739 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I tried for over 2 years, gave up and am now letting it.
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    ric1982 wrote: »
    Wondering how long (and how many attempts) does it take to sell a house (wihtout chain). Not talking about large mansions, house that requires major works but just an averge house in an area.
    Do you mean how long does it take to find a buyer, or how long does it take to find a buyer and reach completion, or how long from offer to completion?
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • ric1982
    ric1982 Posts: 222 Forumite
    Options
    hazyjo wrote: »
    Do you mean how long does it take to find a buyer, or how long does it take to find a buyer and reach completion, or how long from offer to completion?

Updated question.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The only one of the three that's even remotely possible to answer is "offer to completion". Wet finger in the air - three months. It might be quicker, if everything lines up. It might be slower, if something goes a bit awry.

You might get an offer on the first day on the market, you might not get an offer for months or years. It all depends on the demand for your type of property in your location, and on your attitude to realistic pricing.
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Took around 3 months to sell mine and I expected it to sell within a fortnight. You never know what the market's going to do, or who's looking for your type of property.

Agree 3 months is average, but that's from offer to completion. I've done that in 5 weeks before, and another took 5 months.

Also, around 1 in 3 falls through. Sometimes the chain stays together, sometimes not. I've had 2 take around a year or so from looking to actually completing (lost a couple of houses along the way).

The first post was correct with 'how long is a piece of string...'.
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • 3mph
    3mph Posts: 247 Forumite
    Options
    Usually completed in an average amount of time
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    ProDave wrote: »

Did you drop the price?
  • ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    ProDave wrote: »

Are you charging your tenants more than your mortgage repayments?
  • ProDave
    ProDave Posts: 3,739 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Did you drop the price?
    I discussed it at the time. We are in an area where demand is low (for various political reasons), I refused to drop the price of the old 5 bedroom house to the point where it would cost us more to build the replacement 3 bedroom house. i.e I am not paying to downsize.

No mortgage, so the rental income is now funding the completion of the new build. After a few years rental income, I could then afford to drop the price as the rental income is in effect "releasing" money from the old house.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure