Options
13»

Comments

• NCC-1701
    NCC-1701 Posts: 530 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Well........

You say that, but bear in mind that you WERE taken back to land for treatment once it was determined that you were "very ill". So maybe that particular medic didn't carry out the last point, but your employer DID!

Your symptoms, as per the NHS website, were consistent with a chest infection or something similarly milder. And you can't really treat a chest infection with antibiotics, so you probably wouldn't have been given anything (translation: "Fobbed off"). Just have to wait 1-3 weeks for it to run its course.

So I'm a bit skeptical about there being negligence in the initial stages. But it could have been in the later stages.

Bacterial chest infections are treated with antibiotics day and daily.
  • stuartJo1989
    Options
    NCC-1701 wrote: »
    Bacterial chest infections are treated with antibiotics day and daily.

True! But the NHS states:
    NHS wrote:
    Antibiotics aren't recommended for many chest infections, because they only work if the infection is caused by bacteria, rather than a virus.

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Chest-infection-adult/Pages/Introduction.aspx

That sounds to me like many chest infections are caused by a virus, not bacteria. Hence the initial "Fobbing off". That's what I'm saying, if it was a mere chest infection then antibiotics probably would have been useless!

Though OP mentioned pneumonia and the NHS also says "Your GP will usually only prescribe antibiotics if they think you have pneumonia, or you're at risk of complications such as fluid building up around the lungs (pleurisy)."

Which adds a little twist I guess :) Would antibiotics have helped OP to recover from their fluid buildup/pneumonia even if it wasn't necessary for the most likely diagnosis?
  • stuartJo1989
    Options
    I think the only thing you can do is to wait and see what happens now. There's nothing you can do personally to push matters along. Just be patient and not too optimistic

Tbh I think a settlement is likely, just to get rid of OP and resolve it all. Wouldn't fancy playing this out in court though!
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,649 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Tbh I think a settlement is likely, just to get rid of OP and resolve it all. Wouldn't fancy playing this out in court though!

Let's hope OP's employers don't do this literally as they are who he is suing!
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • NCC-1701
    NCC-1701 Posts: 530 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    True! But the NHS states:

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Chest-infection-adult/Pages/Introduction.aspx

That sounds to me like many chest infections are caused by a virus, not bacteria. Hence the initial "Fobbing off". That's what I'm saying, if it was a mere chest infection then antibiotics probably would have been useless!

Though OP mentioned pneumonia and the NHS also says "Your GP will usually only prescribe antibiotics if they think you have pneumonia, or you're at risk of complications such as fluid building up around the lungs (pleurisy)."

Which adds a little twist I guess :) Would antibiotics have helped OP to recover from their fluid buildup/pneumonia even if it wasn't necessary for the most likely diagnosis?

Taken from your own link:-

Most bronchitis cases are caused by viruses, whereas most pneumonia cases are due to bacteria.

Diagnosing an illness can sometimes be a case of 'best guess'. More so on an oilrig without access to laboratory facilities

BTW I'm a 45 years qualified Microbiologist and have processed more sputum samples than I have hot dinners. Two months to retirement...YAY!
  • stuartJo1989
    Options
    Taken from your own link:-

Most bronchitis cases are caused by viruses, whereas most pneumonia cases are due to bacteria.

Diagnosing an illness can sometimes be a case of 'best guess'. More so on an oilrig without access to laboratory facilities

BTW I'm a 45 years qualified Microbiologist and have processed more sputum samples than I have hot dinners. Two months to retirement...YAY!

Precisely! But the NHS seems to suggest that the symptoms presented are more likely due to a viral chest infection, and a medical practitioner would not be penalised (by the UK goverment/court) for following the information provided on the UK government's NHS website... At least in the initial stages.

Think it is a different kettle of fish when (IF) OP reported more serious symptoms though, and that's where the grey area creeps in!

Microbiology huh? Sounds like you've had quite a career :) One which would make J.T. Kirk proud, even if you didn't manage to figure out why Andorian blood was blue ;)
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

You disappoint me, I always picture you as captain of the SSE ;)
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • lukerichardson40
    Options
    Thanks for the replies guys. Interesting reading.

I am pretty sure they wont get rid of me for this. They are a very good employer for the most part. Been with them almost 5 and a half years, and generally they are excellent.

I will be sure to keep you updated. I assume the solicitors must think its worth pursuing, even after getting all the records, or they would have just stopped everything.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure