🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Carpets - Money saving style!!

Options

Comments

• silver_surfer_7
    Options
    We've asked ourselves the same question re: do you need underlay? We were persuaded to spend nearly as much on underlay as on the carpet and we were more than rewarded with additional comfort from the carpet and additional life you get from the carpet. That's our experience - and we don't spend money lightly!
  • melb
    melb Posts: 2,880 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi there was wondering if I could ask dreamypuma the name of the shop in Leeds where he got his underlay as I'm about to re-carpet 2 rooms and hall,stairs and landing and the underlay I was looking at was £6 per sq mtr in Allied Carpets which was about half the price of the carpet (this was the middle quality) Thanks for any help happy new year
  • Canucklehead
    Canucklehead Posts: 6,254 Forumite
    Options
    melb wrote: »
    Hi there was wondering if I could ask dreamypuma the name of the shop in Leeds where he got his underlay as I'm about to re-carpet 2 rooms and hall,stairs and landing and the underlay I was looking at was £6 per sq mtr in Allied Carpets which was about half the price of the carpet (this was the middle quality) Thanks for any help happy new year

Good afternoon: We bought underlay for our last project online and made considerable savings... http://www.tradepriced.co.uk/ We used Cloud 9...our fitter rated it highly.

HTH

Canucklehead
    Ask to see CIPHE (Chartered Institute of Plumbing & Heating Engineering)
  • djbd1973
    djbd1973 Posts: 508 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    From what I can see, tradepriced does seem to be the cheapest online.
    Thanks
    Gordon Brown ate my hamster
  • setmefree2
    setmefree2 Posts: 9,072 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Hi

When I left home, my Mum never hugged me with tears in her eyes:o....no all she said was "Never buy a foam backed carpet":naughty:.....
  • djbd1973
    Options
    Thats what my Mum told me too setmefree2. I'm about to get the underlay for my lounge. With money being tight after Christmas I've decided to get the underlay now since I've just been paid and still putting the final touches to the lounge (last bits of painting etc) and then choose the carpet when I'm ready so that I break the spending up a bit. Soften the credit blow!
  • djbd1973
    Options
    Got the underlay the other week. Went to a carpet shop two weeks ago and back to a local one today that has been recommended. Saw a sample that looked really good but the price was £42 per square metre :eek:

Got the name of the sample and the details and even got the website of the company although the website says its under construction so no real details online there.

Is it me or is that a really high price to be paying? Its for our lounge so I need heavy domestic use.

I am prepared to haggle or keep looking around other shops for an alternative, but trying to find someone else online who supplies this particular carpet has proven unfruitful.

The ones we had previously liked were £24 a square metre but they weren't particularly brilliant and I need 24 square metres. I was wondered what should be the average to pay for a fairly decent heavy use carpet for the lounge that is mostly wool in makeup to keep the heat in?

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.
  • amcluesent
    amcluesent Posts: 9,425 Forumite
    Options
    So, one option is to get a professional carpet cleaner in ask them to write a letter saying that they are sorry but there's a stain that can't be shifted on the lounge carpet. Send to your insurance co. and you'll have something towards you're new carpet!
  • djbd1973
    Options
    amcluesent wrote: »
    So, one option is to get a professional carpet cleaner in ask them to write a letter saying that they are sorry but there's a stain that can't be shifted on the lounge carpet. Send to your insurance co. and you'll have something towards you're new carpet!

I like your style. Thanks
  • echo
    echo Posts: 1,728 Forumite
    Options
    i've had a nightmare of a time. i had a carpet fitted last week ( hall,stairs and landing) and i wasn't satisfied ( plus this being the first time i'd paid a guy to fit a carpet).it was atrocious and the stairs i can't describe.after speaking with he shop owner he sent the fitter round yesterday to sort it but he cut the carpet too short on one stair and on two others the thread was pulled ( leaving the backing of the carpet showing).then the carpet started coming off the grippers in three doorways.i rang the shop today and the guy said he thinks its best if he comes and takes it all up.now i have to start looking for a new carpet and the ideas given in this thread are brilliant but i've got nobody to help me.how much would i really save by buying the grippers/underlay myself and would i really have to collar a carpet fitter @ 8am???? and how much do they charge? i've had a bloody awful time of things and i'm really cheesed off.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 6 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport