Had some works done but...

Options
So this week I had aerial points put into my home. During the work being done the installer managed to go through a major power cable knocking out the power to my, thankfully very understanding, neighbour.

Emergency works has been carried out, he had power back on and the the following day a more permanent job has been done. I had to take the day off work to give constant access to diggers, electricians and the like. Not ideal to be honest.

But also I am not convinced by the work done... below is a pic.

https://ibb.co/h7CjZ5

Under a tile and then hanging down the house? Doesn't strike me as very professional. The tile is likely now compromised for weather or any creatures looking for a way into the inside.

Any advice would be much appreciated but I'm not convinced by the whole fiasco.

Comments

• Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 13,989 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    connors07 wrote: »
    So this week I had aerial points put into my home. During the work being done the installer managed to go through a major power cable knocking out the power to my, thankfully very understanding, neighbour.

Emergency works has been carried out, he had power back on and the the following day a more permanent job has been done. I had to take the day off work to give constant access to diggers, electricians and the like. Not ideal to be honest.

But also I am not convinced by the work done... below is a pic.

https://ibb.co/h7CjZ5

Under a tile and then hanging down the house? Doesn't strike me as very professional. The tile is likely now compromised for weather or any creatures looking for a way into the inside.

Any advice would be much appreciated but I'm not convinced by the whole fiasco.
    That's ridiculous. So your neighbour's power was knocked out and needed diggers and electricians to put it right, all for an "installation" that's less professional than the average householder's Christmas lights?

Have you paid in full for this "installation"?
  • connors07
    connors07 Posts: 123 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Not quite needing diggers in terms of large equipment but multiple teams of workers doing their repairs. Still not had the digging filled in but that's another problem. Not paid in full as yet. Inclined not to pay in full as 1. while I'm not an aerial installer, that isn't what I was expecting and 2. a lot of aggravation caused by their mistake.
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Options
    What expectations were set when you discussed it? Did the installer specify how he would achieve the job or did you set out any restrictions on the way he could run cables?

I would call him, say you're not happy with the way he's installed the ones in your picture (are the other points done properly or are they equally as shoddy?) and ask him to do them properly, making sure to reinstate the tile and any material underneath it. I'd leave the other problem out of it for now. Your main complaint is the way in which the installation has been carried out and presumably your main aim is to have it done properly? The electrical problem has been sorted and unless you want to go about quantifying your loss and deducting it from the cost of the job, I think the bet you can hope for is a discount on the agreed price for your trouble, some of which you should put toward a bottle of wine or something for your neighbour.
  • connors07
    connors07 Posts: 123 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I didn't set out any restrictions but at the same time didn't expect something as strange looking as that. I certainly wasn't warned it would be like that, sounds silly to say but wrongly assumed the wiring would be hidden away as much as possible as per their website and works they carry out.

I do want the job done properly and I won't pay in full until that is done. I found them through trustatrader so I am surprised of the level of work and if they don't put things right I will be honest on there. Oh he will be getting some beers, he did get an extension lead run from mine to his to keep his fridge going along with a site light. He was a diamond about it thankfully.
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Options
    Good neighbours are a godsend.

Good luck with the installer and let us know how you get on. Be assertive and clear about your expectations.
  • diogrwydd
    Options
    I wouldn't stand for that work to be honest, and I would almost be hesitant to let them touch my property again.

It is best however to give them the opportunity to correct their work. I would go back quoting the sale of goods and supply of services act 1982, stating that the work is not of the expected quality for a professional installation, and that you are withholding the remaining payment until rectified (perfectly legal to do so).

Provide him with a fair timescale and deadline to complete the work, and provide an itemised list of what is wrong. Lifting a roof tile to stuff through a cable is a disgrace, and personally I would except the cable to be neatly fixed against the wall and running below the eaves etc.

If he refuses or starts throwing his toys out the pram, tell him given the circumstances it is going to cost you more to pay someone else to rectify his substandard workmanship, and if necessary you are willing to go through legal proceedings. If necessary also check if he belongs to any trade body etc, you could always go through them if it comes to it.
  • MisterP123
    Options
    Somebody fitting an aerial managed to take out the main incomer to your neighbour's house? Then stuffed the coax under a roof tile?

I have no words.
  • martinsurrey
    Options
    MisterP123 wrote: »
    Somebody fitting an aerial managed to take out the main incomer to your neighbour's house? Then stuffed the coax under a roof tile?

I have no words.

exactly,

I cant imagine how you would blow the electrics badly enough to require digging, while working on aerials, and doing such a terrible surface job of it!

I've seen a lot of bodging but this seems to be beyond incompetent...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure