Broken item

FGdsa21
FGdsa21 Posts: 26 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
edited 16 January 2018 at 3:01PM in Consumer rights
I bought an extendable electric hedge trimmer earlier this year in May and it has stopped working. I rang the company and they offered to replace the item and asked me to return the broken hedge trimmer. A few minutes later they called back and told me the item is out of stock and should be available at the end of October

many thanks

Comments

• bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    As it's a B2B transaction you need to read the terms of the warranty. You have no consumer rights.
  • Warwick_Hunt
    Warwick_Hunt Posts: 1,179 Forumite
    If the item was bought by me as a consumer for personel use , what would my rights be?

That irrelevant since it wasn't.
  • NCC-1701
    NCC-1701 Posts: 530 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    If this is it:-

http://www.coopersofstortford.co.uk/coopers-of-stortford-cordless-extendable-hedge-trimmer-prodst10653i/

....it's really not designed/meant for business/professional use
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    If the item was bought by me as a consumer for personel use , what would my rights be?

If you were a consumer, you would be entitled to a repair or replacement and would only be able to force a refund if they were unable to provide a repair or replacement within a reasonable time and without causing significant inconvenience.

Of course its not a reasonable time/causes inconvenience for you due to the nature of your profession, but I don't think it would be the same for a consumer.

Likewise, you only have rights as a consumer if the goods fail to conform to contract. Given these are consumer goods intended for consumer use - which is probably a few times a year maximum and that you have possibly used them more in a week or month than a consumer would an entire year, its possible no remedy would be due at all if it has failed due to excessive wear & tear.

And btw, making a false representation or statement with the intent to gain from it (or to expose the other party to the risk of loss) is also known as the criminal offence of fraud.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • If the item was bought by me as a consumer for personel use , what would my rights be?

Let's hope the company doesn't see this thread. Won't be hard for them to narrow it down to you.
  • I bought an extendable electric hedge trimmer from Coopers of Stortford earlier this year in May and it has stopped working. I rang Coopers and they offered to replace the item and asked me to return the broken hedge trimmer. A few minutes later they called back and told me the item is out of stock and should be available at the end of October. I run my own gardening business and it is an essential item at this time of the year, so it leaves me short of a much needed tool.

My question is, can I demand a full refund so I can source a replacement immediately?

many thanks

Quoting just in case...........
  • Warwick_Hunt
    Warwick_Hunt Posts: 1,179 Forumite

Good move, shame he edited too late.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Thanks, the thread makes more sense now.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure