NST Super September Scrimping challenge

Comments

• apple_muncher
    apple_muncher Posts: 14,701 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Name Dropper
    Good to see you fbo, I was wondering where you were and how you were. Glad you are with us in September.
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
  • determined_new_ms
    determined_new_ms Posts: 7,825 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 30 August 2017 at 9:49PM

These are the rules….. clear and simple!

*This challenge starts on the 1st September at 00:01 and closes on the 30th September at 00:00.

*Try and check in once a day with your progress !

*Get a little notebook that you can fit in your bag, or a slip of paper! Write down everything you spend - good and bad!! will write it in my diary in redwill dig out a red pen now

*You will aim for 18 SFDs!(Spend Free Days). If purchases of “yellow sticker delights” are made without full price items this is an SFD. Medication and normal monthly DD’s or CC payments are exempt and you may class these days as SFD’s also. this will actually be a big challenge for me.
    I will try to be organised and plan for 2 spending days and give myself 1 spare for if/when something comes up!

*Pay you debts and bills first, budget to live off what is left! done :) just straightened out my finances, paid bills ad put money into savings acc :money:

*You must decide on a budget for food now. This must be stuck to rigidly until the last day of the month ! Consider how much you REALLY need to feed your family, make meal plans, limit snacking with the kids or tell them “when it’s gone that’s it until next week”. Mine is £350. Food is £160 - that is for 3 of us so a challenge :)

*Try and eat everything in your cupboards and freezer BEFORE buying any more. Money spent each week will be for essentials – bread, milk and fruit & veg before buying more. Get right down to the bottom of that chest freezer, get out those nearly out of date packets of rice. Stop stock piling for Armageddon and wasting money. I don’t care if you are prepping for visitors or a “just in case” situation! (note to mainly myself: STOP SPENDING SO MUCH ON FOOD!) I need to defrost my freezer and clean my fridge so this rule will help :p

*You must bring your lunch to work every day. No coffee shops, no work canteen, no cafes, no sandwiches – NOTHING. You will waste SO many precious £££’s when something better can be created at home. If you think it doesn’t matter and I won’t find out – you are right. But you are cheating yourself.

*Plot the course of your social life now before the beginning of September. Make sure you have a budget planned for meals that can’t be wormed out of and birthdays etc. Money placed aside for holidays can be classed as “no spend days” – anything over the budget will ruin that SFD!! Cancel something you really don’t want to go to –you HAVE to start making sacrifices now. I have 7 activities planned for Sept - one of which is a festival for 2 days :eek: but local and fairly low cost for a festival. Will cater breakfast and lunches and will eat at home Sunday evening. Anything other social get togethers I will engineer free events :)

*Decide on your DFD!– when do you want to start doing what you want to do??? Debt free already :D

*You will accomplish some sort of exercise per week, 3 sessions of 20 minutes anyway you want. Walk someone’s pooch, walk to work, walk around your block 5 times… anything!

*Beauty spends are not allowed to exceed £10. That includes you boys as well. Use up all that you have in the house BEFORE spending anything more on beauty bits – seriously how many body moisturisers do you need ladies? This won't be a challenge for me! I barely spend a fiver a month here

*Make time for yourself this month. Even if it’s only 10 minutes a day do something for yourself whether that is going for a walk, having a bath with loads of bubbles or sitting outside with a drink – we need to make the most of the evenings.

*Keep the heating off as long as possible, put a jumper on etc. We live in the north of Scotland in an 80s bungalow with metal windows. So it might be a challenge

ok worked out my intentions :D
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Womblng 2020:
    NSD Jan 2/18 YTD: 2
  • DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,439 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 31 August 2017 at 7:10AM
    Thanks for starting this thread Thriftylass. We have had an expensive few months here, involving various hospital stuff, changes of vehicles, had to replace a worn out mattress, bought a laptop for a grandchild for her schoolwork, and various other shenanigans, some avoidable :o and some not. My plans are as follows:

These are the rules….. clear and simple!

*This challenge starts on the 1st September at 00:01 and closes on the 30th September at 00:00.

*Try and check in once a day with your progress ! I will try to do this.

*Get a little notebook that you can fit in your bag, or a slip of paper! Write down everything you spend - good and bad!! Brilliant idea! I already have a little diary which fits in my bag, so will use that.

*You will aim for 18 SFDs!(Spend Free Days). If purchases of “yellow sticker delights” are made without full price items this is an SFD. Medication and normal monthly DD’s or CC payments are exempt and you may class these days as SFD’s also. I personally will only claim a SFD if I don't buy anything - only exceptions for me will be the bills, most of which are paid by Direct Debit, and costs incurred by my small business, which are recorded elsewhere obviously, for HMRC reasons. I see other people have their own variations on this, and this is mine :) I am being extra strict with myself due to an upcoming large spend (see below :eek:)

*Pay you debts and bills first, budget to live off what is left! In all honesty I do this anyway. Our income is small (we are both semi retired) so I have to be careful these days. Our savings have become depleted this year, and need to be built back up a bit :eek:

*You must decide on a budget for food now. This must be stuck to rigidly until the last day of the month ! Consider how much you REALLY need to feed your family, make meal plans, limit snacking with the kids or tell them “when it’s gone that’s it until next week”. Mine is £350. Mine is £160 for all groceries, toiletries and food for the dog, there are only 2 of us most of the time (plus a very small dog), so no excuses!

*Try and eat everything in your cupboards and freezer BEFORE buying any more. Money spent each week will be for essentials – bread, milk and fruit & veg before buying more. Get right down to the bottom of that chest freezer, get out those nearly out of date packets of rice. Stop stock piling for Armageddon and wasting money. I don’t care if you are prepping for visitors or a “just in case” situation! (note to mainly myself: STOP SPENDING SO MUCH ON FOOD!) I need to defrost my freezer and clean my fridge so this rule will help :pI am guilty of all of the above :o My freezers and larder are extra full at this time of year as I freeze and preserve garden produce - but it is by no means all garden produce in there!!

*You must bring your lunch to work every day. No coffee shops, no work canteen, no cafes, no sandwiches – NOTHING. You will waste SO many precious £££’s when something better can be created at home. If you think it doesn’t matter and I won’t find out – you are right. But you are cheating yourself. We are semi retired / self employed / work from home, so tend to eat lunch at home anyway, or take a picnic with us if we go out.

*Plot the course of your social life now before the beginning of September. Make sure you have a budget planned for meals that can’t be wormed out of and birthdays etc. Money placed aside for holidays can be classed as “no spend days” – anything over the budget will ruin that SFD!! Cancel something you really don’t want to go to –you HAVE to start making sacrifices now. We have a birthday party invitation, which will require a modest present and a contribution to the booze (though neither of us are big drinkers and I shall be driving anyway) and a few days away camping which is already booked and paid for. We will need to pay for fuel, but will take most of our food with us to keep costs down. There is also OH's annual golf club membership which is another whopping spend, due for renewal :eek:. This is out of my control (though I don't begrudge it), but it will be paid from our own money, not borrowed.

*Decide on your DFD!– when do you want to start doing what you want to do??? We have had debt in the past, but it is paid off now. My goal is to start to build up our savings again. This will be a slow process as out income is small.

*You will accomplish some sort of exercise per week, 3 sessions of 20 minutes anyway you want. Walk someone’s pooch, walk to work, walk around your block 5 times… anything! I usually walk the dog once a day (OH usually does the other one) but he dawdles - the dog, not OH - so I will try to do an extra, brisker walk 3 times a week :)

*Beauty spends are not allowed to exceed £10. That includes you boys as well. Use up all that you have in the house BEFORE spending anything more on beauty bits – seriously how many body moisturisers do you need ladies? I have a much needed hair appointment booked which will cost £20, but don't need anything other than that.

*Make time for yourself this month. Even if it’s only 10 minutes a day do something for yourself whether that is going for a walk, having a bath with loads of bubbles or sitting outside with a drink – we need to make the most of the evenings. My garden is my sanctuary :)

*Keep the heating off as long as possible, put a jumper on etc. We live in the north of Scotland in an 80s bungalow with metal windows. So it might be a challenge No excuses here, as we are in the SW and live in a mid terrace.

That’s it… think you can keep up?
  • Hello, I would like to join if you will have me....

OK - busy month with work which is good for money spending.

Will try.

*Get a little notebook that you can fit in your bag, or a slip of paper! Write down everything you spend - good and bad!!

Yep have a notepad in mind.

*You will aim for 18 SFDs!(Spend Free Days). If purchases of “yellow sticker delights” are made without full price items this is an SFD. Medication and normal monthly DD’s or CC payments are exempt and you may class these days as SFD’s also.

18.......ok.

*Pay you debts and bills first, budget to live off what is left!

Need to pay my CC and the minimum payment for the B/t

*You must decide on a budget for food now. This must be stuck to rigidly until the last day of the month ! Consider how much you REALLY need to feed your family, make meal plans, limit snacking with the kids or tell them “when it’s gone that’s it until next week”. Mine is £350.

Included in rent.

*Try and eat everything in your cupboards and freezer BEFORE buying any more. Money spent each week will be for essentials – bread, milk and fruit & veg before buying more. Get right down to the bottom of that chest freezer, get out those nearly out of date packets of rice. Stop stock piling for Armageddon and wasting money. I don’t care if you are prepping for visitors or a “just in case” situation! (note to mainly myself: STOP SPENDING SO MUCH ON FOOD!) I need to defrost my freezer and clean my fridge so this rule will help

Will work on this and save Mum money.

*You must bring your lunch to work every day. No coffee shops, no work canteen, no cafes, no sandwiches – NOTHING. You will waste SO many precious £££’s when something better can be created at home. If you think it doesn’t matter and I won’t find out – you are right. But you are cheating yourself.

This is going to be hard for me. UGH. hate packed lunch.

*Plot the course of your social life now before the beginning of September. Make sure you have a budget planned for meals that can’t be wormed out of and birthdays etc. Money placed aside for holidays can be classed as “no spend days” – anything over the budget will ruin that SFD!! Cancel something you really don’t want to go to –you HAVE to start making sacrifices now.

I don't think I will have any money to go out!

*Decide on your DFD!– when do you want to start doing what you want to do???

1st April 2018.

*You will accomplish some sort of exercise per week, 3 sessions of 20 minutes anyway you want. Walk someone’s pooch, walk to work, walk around your block 5 times… anything!

Dog walking.

*Beauty spends are not allowed to exceed £10. That includes you boys as well. Use up all that you have in the house BEFORE spending anything more on beauty bits – seriously how many body moisturisers do you need ladies?

I do need to buy my obscenely expensive make up. Might do that tomorrow!

*Make time for yourself this month. Even if it’s only 10 minutes a day do something for yourself whether that is going for a walk, having a bath with loads of bubbles or sitting outside with a drink – we need to make the most of the evenings.

Audio books :)

*Keep the heating off as long as possible, put a jumper on etc. We live in the north of Scotland in an 80s bungalow with metal windows. So it might be a challenge

Can do that.

Sorry it isn't in a different colour, battery is going and I need to post quickly!

thanks

Buffy XXX
    Nevertheless she persisted.
  • bizzie
    bizzie Posts: 277 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Can I join in again please.
    As it is the new academic year it's my third "fresh start" of the year.
    Progress has been made in many areas such as budgeting, tracking spends and achieving NSDs. Basically anything that can be put in a spreadsheet.
    However I've struggled in others so these will be my priority for this month. Using up contents of freezer & cupboards and including regular exercise. Spreadsheet designs underway!
    Groceries: Personal Spend: 0 NST NSD Goals for 2024:Self: Health: Wealth :
  • thriftylass
    thriftylass Posts: 3,981 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 31 August 2017 at 9:40AM
    Oh, fantastic. More contenders, new and familiar (all listed up to here). Good to see some old faces back. The more the merrier. Loads of plans and intentions posted so far too, will be good to read back at the end of the month. I can feel it, this will be a good month!!! Positivity and support is what we need.

Only one day to go. Payday for me today and sorted out my debt and bills. Finally paid the family debt back :j and only the 0% card left to go.

DH spoke about turning the heating on :eek::eek::eek:. I told him, love its still August :rotfl:. He agreed to keep it off yet. (BTW this rule is obviously bendable by people with dependants or health issues)
    DEBT 09/23: CC 6347 5120, Other 1763 NSDs 0/20 Planned debt free date: Dec 2024
  • Calling14
    Calling14 Posts: 3,498 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    I would like to join please :)

I'm not back from holiday until 4th sept though (currently in LA in 36c heat :j:eek:)

Definitely need to rein it in when I'm back! :)

Bring some heat back please. My feet are freezing in Sandals today.:D
    LBM 13039 1.1.13 Now £0 Finally Debt FreeMortgage free Oct 2019:)EFund/savings £25000 10/11/22
  • Can I join in please? August has been horrendously spendy due to 3 kids going back to school especially as DS1 needed all the expensive stuff that starting secondary school entails.

This thread will help rein in my spending in time for Christmas. :)
    Bank Loan 8839/3761.16 Barclaycard4500/£1949.33 Overdraft 2000 /0
    Littlewoods 7000/107.68

July NSDs 14/15
  • Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,249 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Please add me to the list Thrifty. Really need to have a frugal month this month and get back on the wagon. Thanks :)
    Christmas Savings 2024 £252.38/£600 April NSD:2 April Surveys £
  • NelliePie
    NelliePie Posts: 280 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I've now got the DH2B on board and he's going to be doing it with me -
    he's usually a bit more relaxed about buying food on the go so it'll be a challenge for him. So here's our plan.
    This should be easy during the week but not so much on weekends - Mondays check-in's may therefore be a little longer

*Get a little notebook that you can fit in your bag, or a slip of paper! Write down everything you spend - good and bad!!
    Notepad is ready to go, got my days listed and targets set at the front so I can't forget

*You will aim for 18 SFDs!(Spend Free Days). If purchases of “yellow sticker delights” are made without full price items this is an SFD. Medication and normal monthly DD’s or CC payments are exempt and you may class these days as SFD’s also.
    IAs I've already mentioned in previous posts I have full cupboards and freezers so the aim is to get buy on top-up shops for fresh milk and salad items for work lunches - I'll be trying to get away with only two of these and classing them as SFD

*Pay you debts and bills first, budget to live off what is left!
    The only debt we have is the mortgage and we're doing this to challenge ourselves to see how much we can overpay this month

*You must decide on a budget for food now. This must be stuck to rigidly until the last day of the month ! Consider how much you REALLY need to feed your family, make meal plans, limit snacking with the kids or tell them “when it’s gone that’s it until next week”. Mine is £350.
    As I'm going to try and just get by on top-up shops for fresh stuff (see above) I'm budgeting around £100 for food for the month

*Try and eat everything in your cupboards and freezer BEFORE buying any more. Money spent each week will be for essentials – bread, milk and fruit & veg before buying more. Get right down to the bottom of that chest freezer, get out those nearly out of date packets of rice. Stop stock piling for Armageddon and wasting money. I don’t care if you are prepping for visitors or a “just in case” situation! (note to mainly myself: STOP SPENDING SO MUCH ON FOOD!) I need to defrost my freezer and clean my fridge so this rule will help :p
    Again see above - this is my main challenge !

it's very tempting when Wednesday roll's around and there's a full roast dinner for £3.50 or some other days when a big bowl of chips is just £1, but I WILL resist!

*Plot the course of your social life now before the beginning of September. Make sure you have a budget planned for meals that can’t be wormed out of and birthdays etc. Money placed aside for holidays can be classed as “no spend days” – anything over the budget will ruin that SFD!! Cancel something you really don’t want to go to –you HAVE to start making sacrifices now.
    We don't have any major plans throughout most of the month but DH2B is best man at a wedding on the 30th - we do have a rehearsal/get together dinner the night before so will need to budget some money for that - I'll update when we know exactly where we're going as it's not been organised properly. The accommodation for the two nights has already been paid (AirBnB sharing with 2 other groomsmen so did it on the cheap!)

*Decide on your DFD!– when do you want to start doing what you want to do???
    this should give us an ideal of what we can actually work towards for OP on the mortgage. I know that not every month will be perfect but it's nice seeing the balance come down and anything we can do to help that (and is fun!) is welcome!

we're recent FTB and there's a lot of work to be done on the house and garden - lots of physical labour so we'll be counting a lot of that. DH2B also plays cricket on a Saturday and trains on Tuesdays

*Beauty spends are not allowed to exceed £10. That includes you boys as well. Use up all that you have in the house BEFORE spending anything more on beauty bits – seriously how many body moisturisers do you need ladies?
    we've still got plenty left over from xmas/birthdays/bogof offers so shouldnt need to buy any more

My me time will be curled in front of bake off with an icecream or doing some baking myself

As I mentioned earlier we're recent FTB and haven't had to put the heating on in this house yet so we've challenged ourselves to leave it off as long as possible

Good Luck Ladies and Gents, here's to a great month!
    Little One born 19/12/18
    5/5/18 I became Mrs Pie
    FTB June '17 - £144k mortgage, £134k remaining
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills