Advent-ures in the MSE Forum... Our Advent calendar is live, helping you discover a new corner of the community each day. Visit the homepage and scroll down

Winner unimpressed when council award her prize covered in 'smelly' clothes

Replies

• hdh74hdh74 Forumite
    2.8K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    The whole event was about recycling textiles, and from what I can make out it was clear what the prize was. Shouldn't have entered if she didn't want it imo.
    2018 - £562  2019 - £130 2020 - £276  2021 - £106 2022 - £140
  • andrew71andrew71 Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Quote from the winner
    "I thought a mannequin was a bit of a strange prize to start off with but then to give it away with second-hand clothing was even stranger."
    If she thought it was strange then why the hell did she enter? Each to their own but I can't see many of us on here entering to win a mannequin.
    2019 CHALLENGE 12 COMPETITION WINS IN 12 Months So Far - 8/12 £250 Brooks Tavern online Spend This Morning Live Tickets Kitvision Action Camera Coronation Street Tour Tickets Holiday to UniversalOrlando for six
    Craft Show Tickets
    £500 That's Life mag.
    Signed Manchester United Top
  • hdh74hdh74 Forumite
    2.8K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    I'd actually love a manequin lol
    2018 - £562  2019 - £130 2020 - £276  2021 - £106 2022 - £140
  • luaiveluaive Forumite
    174 Posts
    Tenth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    A woman who won a council recycling competition said: "If they were going to give me clothes you expect it to be new clothes and I found it very surprising for East Riding Council to give away second-hand clothing....You have to wonder if the lights are on with some people, its a recycling competition and she thinks the should have got new clothes!? *bangs head against wall*
  • Sunny_SaverSunny_Saver Forumite
    3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I haven't clicked on this article, but in another one I saw the mannequin with the prize clothes hanging on it and it was clear that that was the prize. Also in the other article I read, the Council said it offered to take back the prize, but she said she would keep it. Why you may wonder? To sell her story to the gullible press maybe? :(

A brand new mannequin is expensive, according to my purse, so I'm sure many people would buy a second-hand one if needed.
    “It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living.”

F. Scott Fitzgerald
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Is your local HSBC closing?

114 branches to shut in 2023

MSE News

Advent Competitions

The countdown is on

MSE Forum

Baileys £10 for 1L at Tesco

When you scan your Clubcard

MSE Deals