HMRC wont accept offer

Options

Comments

• ross1976
    Options
    sheramber wrote: »
    Have you sent HMRC an Income and Expenditure statement to back up your offer?
    Income and expenditure done 2 weeks ago and they said this would be evaluated nothing back from them apart from the letters saying about debt recovery.
  • ross1976
    Options
    w00519772 wrote: »
    Why are you angry with HMRC? It is not their fault. As others have said; it is your responsibility to make sure you are receiving the correct amount.

You made them an offer and they have declined the offer. I guess you have two options:

1) Increase your offer
    2) Deal with the consequences of not increasing your offer.

Sorry if this sounds harsh. I am no expert. If I was you then I would pay as much of it as I could each month e.g. £150 this month; £175 next month etc. As others have said it would show willing.
    Not Harsh but the truth. Whilst all the comments are valid i find it amazing that throughout my working Career i`ve got letters every year about Tax codes, Company Car tax, underpayment and over payments but the one that goes to debt recovery i have never seen a single letter prior to July 2017 .

I owe the money granted and accepted my real bugbear is the lack of communication from HMRC. I was looking for advice on the fines as i think they are unjust.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,468 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    did you get a response?

I did - anodyne, very much on the lines of the excuses offered in the bbc link in my post above and no explanation at all of why total household income was not taken into account.
  • parkrunner
    parkrunner Posts: 2,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    ross1976 wrote: »
    No i offered £150 per month until my circumstance change which should be in 2 or 3 months then the payment can double

I would keep paying the £150 and then offer the £300/month in two or three months. They will ignore the extra offer now so don't even make it.
    It's nothing , not nothink.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,493 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    If you never received any notification, and from what you say HMRC has confirmed this, it might be worth taking up with your MP. You might at least get the fine removed or reduced. Nothing to lose by trying, and government departments tend to be much more helpful once an MP gets involved.
  • ross1976
    Options
    TELLIT01 wrote: »
    If you never received any notification, and from what you say HMRC has confirmed this, it might be worth taking up with your MP. You might at least get the fine removed or reduced. Nothing to lose by trying, and government departments tend to be much more helpful once an MP gets involved.
    After speaking with HMRC today they have agreed my payment terms after threatening to write to my MP. funny how something so simple as using your MP changes their minds.

Thank you for you help
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,493 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    ross1976 wrote: »
    After speaking with HMRC today they have agreed my payment terms after threatening to write to my MP. funny how something so simple as using your MP changes their minds.

Thank you for you help

Funny that :D When I worked at DWP I used to tell people who were complaining about not having ESA assessments to call their MP, even when I was working on the benefit. The number of times referrals for WCA suddenly appeared a few days after the suggestion certainly indicates that it's not coincidence. Appalling though that people should have to go to such lengths before anything happens.
  • ross1976
    Options
    so received a letter from HMRC agreeing payment terms also received a phone call from walthamstow office asking if the letter had arrived. Whilst on the call i asked the question why this couldn't have been dealt with the first time round the lady proceeded to tell me the directive from management is to get the money by any possible means and to offer little help as possible with payment options. hopefully they didn't record the call for her sake.
  • xs2man
    Options
    I too am in a similar position. They have applied charges going back to 2014 (when I returned to the UK from working abroad).

I found it incredible that they hid behind the excuse that it was well advertised at the time, yet my reason of not being in the country at the time was not considered a valid enough reason.

As you say, if, at the time of the first discrepancy, they had informed us of such changes, I could have dealt with it at the time. However, to not inform me, for 3 years, then go back and apply penalties, just seems unfair.

Before they calculated the charges, I had been informed of the due amount. I had contacted HMRC, and have made arrangements to repay this on a monthly basis, without hesitation or appeal. I do not disagree with the back taxes due.

However, I do disagree, entirely, that I would be due the charges. Mostly accrued through their inability to inform me in a timely fashion. I mean, it's not like they wouldn't have seen I wasn't in the UK system for a couple years. I wasn't, obviously, receiving any benefits, nor was I earning any money in the UK, so I wasn't paying any taxes in the UK, at the time of the change. A thing they would have known, as they did point out to me that letters were drawn up and sent to everyone who would be eligible for this extra taxation. And I was not in receipt of said letter.

A simple letter, at the end of the tax year in 2014 (the first end of tax year since my return), and this would have all been sorted.

I have since made an appeal. And today, before hearing a response from the appeal, I got another demand for payment. I called them up, got sent through to the compliance centre, who has since informed me my appeal, on the grounds of not being in the country to observe the national promotion of the new system, has been rejected. How this is not a valid enough excuse is beyond me? I consider it not a valid enough excuse to not inform me for 3 years that I am doing it wrong. I suppose they can be forgiven for not knowing I didn't have a TV license either at the time, so didn't watch TV, and don't read the papers, so wouldn't really have known about the campaign most likely, even if I were in the country.
  • copperclock
    Options
    It did seem like a strange introduction to the whole thing. It started in the middle of a tax year and, suddenly, huge numbers of employed people who had never done a tax return before were liable to do one. I think that they might have sent letters out to high earners, but this was probably hit and miss. No wonder so many people didn't jump on it right away.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure