PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

What do you think about letting agent fees? MPs want to hear from you

Options
12346»

Comments

• Johnthecob
    Options
    The Bill for banning LA fees should include provision to allow the reclaiming of unfair fees charged by LA's. This will stop any LA's ignoring the legislation and open up the market for the claims chasers/PPI co's to police the market.
    In fact, why not go the full hog and allow Tennant's to reclaim historic fees? A period of maybe 5-7 years would seem fair to me.
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Options
    Johnthecob wrote: »
    The Bill for banning LA fees should include provision to allow the reclaiming of unfair fees charged by LA's. This will stop any LA's ignoring the legislation and open up the market for the claims chasers/PPI co's to police the market.
    In fact, why not go the full hog and allow Tennant's to reclaim historic fees? A period of maybe 5-7 years would seem fair to me.

Reclaiming fees wouldn't happen, simply due to the nature of the business. Banks are a regulated business, letting agents aren't.

However the ban will likely be half hearted - the fees are capped, and a number of schemes introduced - same as deposit - which are used for referencing.

The fees will probably be in the region of £25-50 per applicant.
  • Demz
    Options
    People keep saying prospective tenants don't complain about the fees. If I have to pay 150+ non refundable to apply (£300 as a couple) for the ideal property that has taken me a long time to find, whilst competing with other tenants, I'm not going to risk complaining and being disliked to lose my money and the accommodation. The last time I rented I had to have £1700 up front to afford a property just under £700 (this is lower end of the market where I live). It's ridiculous and uncalled for. I've paid as little as £25 when dealing directly with landlords so why does it take £150 for an agent to do the same thing baring in mind they'll charge 4/5 other tenants applying for the same property and only one person will get it.

You tend to pay this fee up front of seeing a contract as well so I've been in a situation where I've applied only to then see a charge of £200 to carry on living at the property after tenancy term is over, so I either sign unwillingly or I lose the £150 I've already paid. Isn't it the same contract that's used for every single tenant an agency deals with most of the time? Happy to pay a reference fee but anything over that is unfair and you rarely have a choice.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,323 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 6 September 2017 at 10:20PM
    Options
    I was quite impressed by this debate. It was far more informed than the last one (most of the contributions were well researched - there were two that weren't) and the Minister who spoke towards the end was far more informed (and not a doddering ill informed Tory like the last one). There was one point he raised that I did not agree with but most of the items described were much needed. It was much more positive about introducing a ban on tenancy fees, the last debate wasn't at all.

It looks like they are going ahead with a bill to ban tenancy fees although at the moment the first one will be just a draft bill. So it may not happen. Time will tell.
  • volare11512
    Options
    I was quite impressed by this debate. It was far more informed than the last one (most of the contributions were well researched - there were two that weren't) and the Minister who spoke towards the end was far more informed (and not a doddering ill informed Tory like the last one). There was one point he raised that I did not agree with but most of the items described were much needed. It was much more positive about introducing a ban on tenancy fees, the last debate wasn't at all.

It looks like they are going ahead with a bill to ban tenancy fees although at the moment the first one will be just a draft bill. So it may not happen. Time will tell.

I came to the same conclusion (and I agree with you about the two who were not well research). I did find it worrying that one MP thought the deposit was to be used to bring the house up to standard pre-tenancy too without any correction. However, I did feel that as a private tenant concerns raised on this forum were mentioned and respectful for those not able to qualify for social housing nor able to buy their own home (like myself).

This issue really needs sorting out now as those like myself will be retiring under a private rented roof which is going to cost the government more not just in renting benefits, but also in care costs as I will have no money to contribute towards this myself.
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Johnthecob wrote: »

Never happen, a large % of agents will be out of business by that time.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure