Uni Careers Service - Any good?

Hi, I am looking at signing up to my graduate careers service (University College London) - I am desperate to get into the NGO sector, (spciefically refugees/health) hopefully undertaking some training when I get the money.
I need some advice on the most appropriate job I could get now, where I should volunteer, where I can look for funding etc etc.
I am going round in circles searching the internet.
The grad careers service is £50 to sign up to - anyone had any experiences good/bad with graduate uni careers services - is it worth it? anyone know of any free resources I'm not exploiting?
Thank you! :D
I've made my debts bite-size too depressing to look at all at once so am handling them one at a time - first up Graduate Loan £1720 paid off! only £280 to go!!!
Money to raise for tuition fees: £3000
When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on!!

Comments

• lellie
    lellie Posts: 1,489 Forumite
    ours is crap but free.. am shocked that they charge you though!! Can't imagine they have much more info than ours.
  • surfcat
    surfcat Posts: 734 Forumite
    mine (at oxford) was crap but free.

It had tonnes and tonnes of information about how you could 'think outside the box', about how 'no two days would be the same', ie managament consultancy and investment banking and all that other boll*cks. But when it comes down to finding a career that would use your degree (in my case physics) there was very little indeed.

I remember the careers book well, more than a hundred pages on finance and management and a token page on alternative careers such as working for greenpeace.

I do remember tho' that for NGO work your really have to fight for it as competition is intense.
  • Eliza252
    Eliza252 Posts: 449 Forumite
    Thanks, it looks like my service is very expensive in comparison then - although it might be because its a graduate services now that I'm no longer a student. I also found out that they charge £20 for an hour long interview!! :eek: crikey, I'm going to need a pay rise to be able to afford it!

NGO Sector, I know very, very competitive. I am looking at doing something very specific as this seems to be the winning formula.
    Possibly logistics (as in transport logistics, people/aid that kind of thing)
    or public health - a fairly diverse spectrum but at the moment my qualifications are fairly general so I can afford to speculate!
    I've got some voluntary work, liasing with detained refugees in London and also as a community worker... still, could do with some professional guidance -especially as I cant afford to pay for further qualifications at the moment...
    I've made my debts bite-size too depressing to look at all at once so am handling them one at a time - first up Graduate Loan £1720 paid off! only £280 to go!!!
    Money to raise for tuition fees: £3000
    When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on!!
  • The_Bhoy_3
    The_Bhoy_3 Posts: 98 Forumite
    That's pretty crap if they charge to use it... Ours (at Glasgow) is free.

You can generally look at the stuff listed on other uni's career webpages and you might see different things listed. I'm pretty sure you can access Glasgow's without being a student there. Also, you can register on Edinburgh's page without having gone there and they seen to have quite a lot of good jobs listed (though I only know with regards to my field, finance).

Basically, you should try looking up the careers web pages of as many unis as you can think of on Google and accessing those you can without paying or being a student there. You should find a decent amount of stuff hopefully!

Good luck...
    Nice to save.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,018 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    It will help to know where most of the NGOs advertise any jobs, because if you don't see them advertised you won't have a chance!

Ask the group you are / were volunteering with if they can help with that. Also let them know you're interested in paid work and see if there is anything going there.

Good luck!
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • lellie
    you need to be registered at manchester to access theirs.

there are plenty of unis where you don't though. :) look at the areas you are interested in going to - and then look at all the universities in that area for things listed.
  • lellie
    see I think our careers service is crap.. yet it's just got voted the best :S

http://www.manchester.ac.uk/press/title,27252,en.htm
  • Gavboy
    Gavboy Posts: 55 Forumite
    lellie wrote:
    you need to be registered at manchester to access theirs.

You don't, you can access all the information the same as you can with most uni's, I've just done it and am not a manchester uni student! :)
  • lellie
    Gavboy wrote:
    You don't, you can access all the information the same as you can with most uni's, I've just done it and am not a manchester uni student! :)

hmm I needed an manchester.ac.uk address to sign in and get more stuff..
  • Gavboy
    Gavboy Posts: 55 Forumite
    lellie wrote:
    hmm I needed an manchester.ac.uk address to sign in and get more stuff..

You can get a good lot of info about particular careers and how to get into particular fields which is what the OP was looking for. Also tons about application forms, interviews etc. By you saying you need to be registered to access it is not strictly true so I didn't want the OP not to have a look when they could find some good stuff there.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure