PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Oil Diffusers?

Options
Hoping someone can help!

I just bought an oil diffuser (yay!!) and I want to get good use out of it. It is getting towards Autumn and I love to stock up on candles and other nesting materials.

I ordered a sweet orange oil and have used it once so far and it scents most of the upstairs of the house.

I am hoping to use it to make the atmosphere / scent of the house more lovely.

Does any one have any tips? On diffuser use or the most useful oils to have? x

Comments

• Linda32
    Linda32 Posts: 4,385 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I personally like lavender. :)
  • Angel_Jenny
    Angel_Jenny Posts: 3,026 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Linda32 wrote: »
    I personally like lavender. :)

Lavender is one of the few scents I don't like! :)

I am tempted by peppermint but I don't want the house to smell like toothpaste x
  • bexster1975
    bexster1975 Posts: 1,576 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    Hi

I like the tisserand brand of oils. In terms of scent, it depends what you like. I like the rise absolute, jasmine, winter warming and lavender most. But also use geranium, rise are and clary sage.

Amazon have them all.

the

Bexster :)
  • minimad1970
    minimad1970 Posts: 6,157 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I like the Ashleigh & Burwood oils, they smell lovely and fragrance the whole house.
  • Happierdays
    Options
    Orange is lovely with geranium, as is lemon... also bergamot, grapefruit... I personally love citrus mixed with floral and I experiment lots with endless combinations...happy mixing! :)
  • budgetboo
    budgetboo Posts: 198 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm a bit of an aromatherapy fan. the sort that asks for a particular expensive essential oil for a birthday or Xmas gift.

amazon does some starter sets of essential oils at reasonable cost for a half dozen or so. We have 2 electric diffusers - one upstairs and one down as they help my sensory son stay calm. I've found it's far more economical to use the cheaper brands of essential oils in our diffusers and save the premium brand highest quality purchases for those oils I want to use for medicinal purposes.

Sweet orange or lemon both smell lovely and fresh when you feel like being perked up but can double up in household cleaning solutions. I purchase sweet orange & lavender once a year in big bottles for use in the diffuser and house. sweet orange is a fab grease & grime buster & I use lavender +vinegar instead of fabric conditioner for our laundry.

Rosemary is a nice one - it clears your head when you are feeling stressed out or "fuggy". it's a proven stress reliever (they did some tests on cortisol in the blood before and after using roasemary)>supposed to be good for memory. It also has pain relieving and disinfectant properties (used in mouthwashes for bad breath). My son often chooses it for his diffuser. Good choice if you like a herby/woody type scent.

After that if you like floral scents - geranium is quite a cheap one. used for low moods & depression (not proven). The brat prefers lavender.

chamomile is cheap but isn't a strong enough scent to use for a diffuser imho. ditto Ylang Ylang. patchouli is also cheap but I can't stand the scent(makes me want to vomit) - a little goes a long way if you do like it. I prefer rosemary for an everyday herby/woodsy scent. sage is cheap and clarifies the air but we don't reach for it often,as the kiddo likes his rosemary better.

Clove is dirt cheap and is wonderful mixed sweet orange for a really Xmassy scent over the festive season. That it's a useful oil for your first aid kit in case of toothache is a bonus. Get it at the chemist.

Eucalyptus is a handy one to have in case of congestion or colds as we prep for winter. Again pick it up at the chemist. Used in a diffuser it's good for even little babies if they get all snotty and clogged up.

Rose absolute and frankinsense go on my gift wish list. Both are divine scents that I adore, but out of my budget for general purposes. These are used as a treat.
  • Chris25
    Chris25 Posts: 12,918 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I like lemongrass oil
  • elizadavis384
    Options
    I like the scent of ]bergamot essential oil a citrus scent from an Italian fruit. If you wish to buy it you can check Afida.co
  • Wednesday2000
    Wednesday2000 Posts: 7,483 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Chris25 wrote: »
    I like lemongrass oil

That is my favourite one too.:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate