How to make my house smell like a spa?

Options
Hello,

Everytime I go to a spa I always feel the smell is really soothing. If love to make my bathroom smell like that but have never been able to place what the smell actually is. Does anyone have a clue???

Please help!

Comments

• hammy1988
    hammy1988 Posts: 145 Forumite
    Options
    Essential oils... notably Lavender, Bergamot, Sandalwood etc. My massage therapist used to use an oil burner/candles with essential oils.
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 14,007 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    You need to collect the following:

Multipacks of Panda Pops
    An old, rumbling refrigerated display unit
    A shelving unit stocked with slightly unfamiliar brands of wines and spirits
    A stack of slightly dirty shopping baskets
    A heavily frosted freezer, in the bottom of which will be a Feast lolly from 1986

Ah, the smells of my schooldays, popping in to buy pick-and-mix at the local spa...
  • maninthestreet
    maninthestreet Posts: 16,127 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    You need to collect the following:

Multipacks of Panda Pops
    An old, rumbling refrigerated display unit
    A shelving unit stocked with slightly unfamiliar brands of wines and spirits
    A stack of slightly dirty shopping baskets
    A heavily frosted freezer, in the bottom of which will be a Feast lolly from 1986

Ah, the smells of my schooldays, popping in to buy pick-and-mix at the local spa...

That was SPAR, not SPA !
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    If you managed to make your house smell like a spa by the use of essential oils or whatever, the effect would soon dwindle. This is because humans soon adapt to a constant smell, so it becomes 'normal' and largely unnoticed.

....Which is all good news for people like me, who live where there is septic tank air outlet drift, frequent muck-spreading and much silage use. :D
  • LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I have friends whose homes I cannot be in - air fresheners, sprays, candles, incense sticks, etc. A serious lung condition means I choke and gasp for air, and literally cannot breathe. I cannot even go into a big store since all the perfume counters are immediately in front of the entrance.
    My friends don't even wear perfume when they come to see me. Please consider your visitors - not everybody can tolerate the modern obsession with smelling other than simply clean.
  • Mayflower10cat
    Options
    The spa at Longleat Centre Parcs uses a LOT of lemongrass essential oil. I think they use a steam mister with the oil in. It was a bit overpowering for me, personally.
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,817 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Spas will use natural fragrances, so whatever you use, you'll have to spend a bit more if you don't want it to smell like chemicals. I can't bear chemical air freshener smells.

Candles tend to permeate better than other things.

I do have a lovely Vanilla Chai candle from the Body Shop which is really like a spa smell. Unfortunately, I think it's a Christmas range :o

I once stayed in a lovely hotel in Paris that smelled like heaven. It was their own signature scent and they were pumping it in somehow in all of the communal areas.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • Apodemus
    Apodemus Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    To smell like an authentic original spa you would be best to use rotten eggs to mimic the sulphur gas given off by the healing springs...
  • another_casualty
    Options
    Years ago, i used incense sticks, candles oil burners etc.
    Ive just gone back to oil burner in my new flat .
    With oil burners( got mine in john lewis christmas sale) i tend to find its hard to get the oils . I will do amazon now .
    Im after a honeycome kind of smell ( honeysuckle ?)
    I have lemongrass , sandalwood and ginger and linen so far .
    The essential,oils are way too expensine though, so i get the small bottles.
    Not sure what the use in a spa though .

I love the smell of clothes coming out of the dry cleaners . What is that?
    Sorry for hijack:o
  • Apodemus
    Apodemus Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I love the smell of clothes coming out of the dry cleaners . What is that?
    Sorry for hijack:o

It used to be carbon tetrachloride, but that was banned a while ago!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure