PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Corrupt landlord

Options
Good afternoon I need some urgent advise. Changing lives has theft a bbq of me which was in the garden I reckon out of spite. They claimed they have taken it for heath and safety and disposed of it without warning.

however I have pointed out that they thrown tennabrs stuff out on the streets and left it there theys stuff on the roof of a old backdoor toilet and right at the back.of the garden theres old boilers broken wood paint which is a heath and safety issue they aint addressed. There also rats in the house they aint addressed and I fell builled and intimated by them. They enter my room and seached through papperwork.

Upon asking flatmates ive have been made aware one was overheard saying we keep that that looks nice

what advise do you give

Comments

• mrginge
    mrginge Posts: 4,843 Forumite
    Options
    Anyone got a clue on what this means?
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 17 August 2017 at 8:20PM
    Options
    Your post is not very clear. However

1) if someone (maybe your landlord?) has taken property from you (eg a BBQ) without your permission, that is theft. Contact the police

2) if the property needs repairs, write to the landlord with a list of repairs needed. Read:

* Repairing Obligations: the law, common misconceptions, reporting/enforcing, retaliatory eviction & the new protection (2015)

3) it would also help us if we understood your contract:
    * do you rent a whole property? Or share?
    * do you share with your landlord? Or other tenants?
    * do you have an individual contract in your sole name? Or are you on the same contract with other people (ie it says "The Tenant:...." and then a list of names)?
    * how long have you been there? Does you contract have a start and end date?
    * did you pay a deposit? Is it registered?

4) Rats. Report this to Environmental Health at the council. Look at your local council website: either pest control eg
    http://www.bedford.gov.uk/environment_and_planning/env_health__trading_standards/pest_control.aspx

or private housing eg
    http://www.bedford.gov.uk/housing/private_rented_housing.aspx

• Chrisw030290
    Options
    Basically I explain

I live in a hostel ran by changing lives. The hostel is in poor condition with rats and in the garden there is old boiler broken wood and basically looks like a tip. Landlord refuses to deal with it. However last week the landlord kicked someone out and threw all of this stuff in the front garden and just left it there. Its been there for two weeks and blocks a window.

However I went.out tuesday and I have a.brand new bbq in the garden. All covered up doing no harm. This is when the events turn as im leaving.monday I was packing up wedensday and the bbq was missing I rang them up and they laughed down the phone and said we dont have the bbq so I called the police and reported the theft. I then get a call from police saying they took it and destroyed it for heath and safety. However I said so you dont deal with the rats you dont deal with the rubbish and tripping hazards but you get rid of a bbq. Today I been made aware that someone from the landlords office come up and they overheard that they took it and said we take that

Police claim it a civil matter I claim its theft.

I have taken pictures of the garden front and back to prove it was not a heath and safety matter it was a matter of spite. I only have £5 arrears but they own me £50 on monday when I leave
  • bob_bank_spanker
    Options
    Where is this?
  • Chrisw030290
    Options
    London area greenwich
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Did you ask changing lives if you could leave a bbq in their garden? If you didn't then you can't accuse them of moving it from their garden.
  • maninthestreet
    maninthestreet Posts: 16,127 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Get back on to the police and ask to speak to a more senior officer about the way you report of theft has been mis-handled. Your property has been taken by someone else with the intention of permanently depriving you of that property - this is an offence under section 1 of the Theft Act 1968.
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
  • maninthestreet
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Cakeguts wrote: »
    Did you ask changing lives if you could leave a bbq in their garden? If you didn't then you can't accuse them of moving it from their garden.

They have to give it back to the OP - otherwise it is theft.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You could return to the police and insist it is either theft and/or criminal damage. Ask to see a more senior officer, and ask for a Crime Number.

You could complain to one of the Changing Lives board. They run CLs:

http://www.changing-lives.org.uk/about-us/the-board/

For example, the Chair of the Board is Baroness Armstrogn of Hilltop. Email:

[EMAIL="armstrongh@parliament.uk"]armstrongh@parliament.uk[/EMAIL]
  • maninthestreet
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Have you followed Changing Lives formal complaint procedure? :

http://www.changing-lives.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Complaint-Leaflet.pdf
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport