IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Final Reminder from Britannia Parking, but I know I paid

Options
Hi MSE Forums. Been a MSE member for a few years, but first time on the forums.

I've just received a Final Reminder from Britannia Parking (it is the first correspondence I've had from them). The letter has the date of the contravention and my registration, but no other details such as photos or times etc.

My car was at the car park on the specified date, but I know without doubt that a valid ticket was purchased. This was nearly a month ago now so I no longer have the ticket. The ticket was bought with coins so I have no way of proving this.

I have seen the stickied newbies post, and suspect I may be a victim of the Double Dip scenario.

What would be my best course of action from here?

Regards

JonP23

Comments

• Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 58,258 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Send the BPA template in blue from the NEWBIES thread stating that this is the first the keeper has heard about this alleged event, therefore the keeper is treating this as the NTK.

Also complain to the BPA, DVLA, and your MP about this scam.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • JonP23
    JonP23 Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for your fast reply Fruitcake.

I am in the process of writing up an email using the blue template. Should I keep the first paragraph in referring to the size of the signage? As I have as far as I'm concerned paid for the ticket. I'm not arguing that their signage was not clear.

Many thanks
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    That template is just designed to ensure you get a popla code.

Let it go as is advised in #2
  • JonP23
    Options
    Ok. Email sent. I'll update when I hear more.

Thanks for the advice.
  • JonP23
    Options
    A quick update...

Had a reply telling me I couldn't appeal via their email address, but had to use the online appeal process on their website.

When I go to the appeal process and enter the PCN number and my reg, it shows photos of the front and rear of my car, so entering and leaving the car park I guess. But I am not contesting that my car was there, but that it did have a valid ticket. Although as mentioned above, I have not gone in to any details yet.

Anyway, I entered my details, including selecting that I am the keeper of the vehicle, not driver etc. I pasted the body of the template text in to the comments box and sent it off. I promptly got a confirmation email telling me I can expect a decision within 35 days.
  • JonP23
    Options
    Update

Two weeks ago I received a response from Brittania to my appeal. They have looked in to the details and found that a parking ticket was paid for for my vehicle, but not the whole reg number was not entered, only the first four digits, ie, AB14. They then go on to state
    The signage in the car park states that you must “Enter the FULL and correct vehicle registration into the payment machine when paying the tariff”

and later...
    Due to the operator error, we have incurred a cost from issuing a Parking Charge Notice. We believe this can be resolved amicably therefore we have discounted the value of the Parking Charge Notice to £20.00.

Also, today I have received another final reminder, presumably for the now 'discounted' PCN of £20, threatening that if I ignore it, it will rise to £160.

Should I just pay this, or is this basically an admission that they don't have a case?

Many thanks in advance
  • JonP23
    Options
    Further to this, it seems that as I didn't pay the £20 within 14 days, the PCN is now £85.

Should I call and offer to pay the £20 and be done with it?
  • beamerguy
    beamerguy Posts: 17,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 3 October 2017 at 12:01PM
    Options
    "Quote:
    Due to the operator error, we have incurred a cost from issuing a Parking Charge Notice. We believe this can be resolved amicably therefore we have discounted the value of the Parking Charge Notice to £20.00."

I assume they mean the operator is you entering the reg number

Nice one Brittania for telling everyone the true cost of
    issuing a parking ticket is £20 ???

Why pay anything, hardly think a judge will appreciate his time
    being wasted. THEY AGREED YOU PAID, the rest is trivial

Anyway, with the new court claim rule which is now in force,
    whichever solicitor they use will really struggle, especially
    claiming for £160 when they admitted what the true cost is ?

£20 increasing to £160 is a 700% mark up ???
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,922 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    JonP23 wrote: »

Should I call and offer to pay the £20 and be done with it?

No.

Did they not send a POPLA code with that first rejection? Or was your appeal not sent within 28 days of the first letter? It should be at POPLA stage now.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • JonP23
    edited 3 October 2017 at 8:50PM
    Options
    I initially tried to appeal by contacting the only email address I could find. They replied that I had to follow their online appeals process. I filled this out and received a confirmation email telling me I would receive a decision within 35 days.

Three weeks later I received the lettter telling me they had a record on my ticket, but that the full reg hadn't been entered.

At no point have I received a POPLA code.

After reading again their letter where they concede that I did have a ticket....
    We have reviewed the case and considered the comments that you have made. This appeal has been considered in conjunction with the photographs and any evidence provided. Our records show that the notice was correctly issued as your vehicle was parked in breach of the terms and Conditions of the Car Park.
    The signage in the car park states that you must “Enter the FULL and correct vehicle registration into the payment machine when paying the tariff”.

I guess that constitutes a rejection of my appeal, so they should have issued me a POPLA code. Yes?
    Should I respond to that email saying that since they have rejected my appeal I would like a POPLA code?

Many thanks.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport