What does a seller have to disclose about their property in Northern Ireland?

Options
13»

Comments

• x12yhp
    x12yhp Posts: 801 Forumite
    Options
    motorguy wrote: »
    That questionnaire that has been mentioned, i've had to answer a load of that (although typically the solicitor fills a fair bit of it on), so if there was a question answered incorrectly there relating to the status of various aspects of the house, then the O/P could have recourse?

You are right but have you ever tried doing this? Our solicitor advised us that the cost of trying to do so would almost certainly exceed the amount we were seeking and there would be no guarantee that you would win. In our case we swallowed something like a 3k hit. Maybe on larger amounts the advice would have been different.
    Always overestimating...
  • glentoran99
    glentoran99 Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    sorry cant find mine must have got buried in th emove
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    x12yhp wrote: »
    You are right but have you ever tried doing this? Our solicitor advised us that the cost of trying to do so would almost certainly exceed the amount we were seeking and there would be no guarantee that you would win. In our case we swallowed something like a 3k hit. Maybe on larger amounts the advice would have been different.

I'd have thought a formal request from your solicitor followed by a letter before action wouldn't cost much and should envoke some sort of response.

After that it's not that difficult or expensive to pursue a small claim?

For £3,000 I'd have been making someone else feel pain I can assure you.
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    x12yhp wrote: »

Surely the Small Claims process would have been ideal for this? It seems like the fee for lodging it is £62, the pack tells you what you need to send to whom and when and it covers amounts claimed up to £3,000?

https://www.courtsni.gov.uk/en-GB/AboutUs/UsefulForms/SmallClaims/Documents/Small%20Claims%20Guide.pdf
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure