🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

PC not reading flash drive

Options
2»

Comments

• DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Have you tried it on another PC?

Someone else may remember the procedure, but ... there's a way to remove USB devices from the depths of Windows so that there's no trace of it. Then when you connect it back again it should install properly.
  • rmg1
    rmg1 Posts: 3,132 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I think I vaguely recall seeing it in computer management (or one of those screens) but that was some time ago.

From memory, it kept the drive letter but showed as no disc or something along those lines.
    :wall: Flagellation, necrophilia and bestiality - Am I flogging a dead horse? :wall:

Any posts are my opinion and only that. Please read at your own risk.
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    USBDeview was what I was remembering. I found it via this Technet thread.
  • Sicard
    Sicard Posts: 851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Or you could take the files off after an MBAM scan and reformat it in Fat32.
    You know what uranium is, right? It's this thing called nuclear weapons. And other things. Like lots of things are done with uranium. Including some bad things.
    Donald Trump, Press Conference, February 16, 2017

• agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sicard wrote: »
    Or you could take the files off after an MBAM scan and reformat it in Fat32.

I'd be inclined to take the files off and use a a different drive, sounds like this one could be on the way out anyway, they don't last for ever. And then copy them to a third device for safety - anything that's not backed up in at least 2 places doesn't really exist.
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    Options
    Out of interest... Is this a brand flash drive or some no name freebie?
    The number of people I see relying on cheap/nasty flash drives they got in crisp packets, is just insane!!!
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    DoaM wrote: »
    there's a way to remove USB devices from the depths of Windows so that there's no trace of it. Then when you connect it back again it should install properly.

Yep .

http://www.aleratec.org/s.nl/ctype.KB/it.I/id.2432/KB.877/.f

Its written for XP but the information is still valid
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 6 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business