is it worth joining a union?

Options

Comments

• discat11
    discat11 Posts: 528 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Even if you disagree with their politics (if they have any affiliation-many don't) or don't like the reps, a unions protection power can never be underestimated.
    When I worked for BR I lost count of the number of people in the rail industry who were sacked or disciplined unfairly, the only difference was that those without union representation simply weren't there the next week, whereas union members had to be really stupid or very unlucky to be given the boot. Union membership is usually the most valuable insurance you'll ever buy.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,491 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    I was never a member of a union. My view of them was very much coloured by their activities in the '80s. The company I worked for offered 15% (those were the days!) but the union refused to accept and took the works membership out on strike. I was in IT, which was in any case covered by a different union, and not dragged into it. The works were out for 3 weeks with no pay and the union finally settled for an additional 1/2%. How long would it take for the workers to get the missing money back. In those days it was easy for the union reps as the union paid them when they were on strike.
    I know things have changed - in many areas at least, but there are still 'old school' union reps out there with the same attitude.
  • Geoff1963
    Geoff1963 Posts: 1,088 Forumite
    Options
    Why not join anyway, even if they can't help you this time around ? If they won't provide someone to defend you, they might have other resources you could draw on.
    Union membership is partly like insurance, but it is also like military deterrence.
  • Manxman_in_exile
    Manxman_in_exile Posts: 8,380 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 11 August 2017 at 2:03AM
    Options
    kmb500 wrote: »

I wasn't aware my salary was decided by a union.

So, to add to your ignorance about the existence of yellow box junctions and red light cameras, you are not aware that public sector unions have assisted in giving public sector workers the salaries and pensions they now enjoy?

I don't want to appear judgmental, but I assume you've never studied social history prior to 1979?

(EDIT: You may not insure your house but I assume (hope) your parents do.)
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    It would be worth taking a look at the OP's posting history, particularly on the Motoring board, before deciding whether to waste your time providing serious answers.
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Options
    agrinnall wrote: »
    It would be worth taking a look at the OP's posting history, particularly on the Motoring board, before deciding whether to waste your time providing serious answers.
    Yeah, got there in the end. But I did advise based on them being a "thinking adult" ! And it isn't wasted on people who really haven't thought about what will happen to them if they end up getting old or ill- everyone wears out eventually, and these days it's tough if you happen to do so whilst still in employment.
  • kmb500
    kmb500 Posts: 656 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 11 August 2017 at 9:29AM
    Options
    So, to add to your ignorance about the existence of yellow box junctions and red light cameras, you are not aware that public sector unions have assisted in giving public sector workers the salaries and pensions they now enjoy?

I don't want to appear judgmental, but I assume you've never studied social history prior to 1979?

(EDIT: You may not insure your house but I assume (hope) your parents do.)
    No, I have never studied any kind of "societal history".

As for house insurance yes I guess my landlord maybe has house insurance but theres no contents insurance, he told me when I moved in that if I wanted that I had to take it out myself.
  • Madbags
    Madbags Posts: 222 Forumite
    Options
    I've never been one to follow politics so I won't comment on that part of it but if the question is "Is it worth joining a Union?" I would have to say wholeheartedly YES.

My partner has undergone a couple disciplinaries as of late for what I would call very minor infractions or being only human, but the employer has taken way out of context. Without the Union backing her every step of the way I would expect her to be currently unemployed.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    A union is a good option to if you feel you need support in your dealings with employer. Personally I have never been in a union and have had good working relationships with my employers my whole working life.

The one thing I do hate is when it becomes them and us between union members, non union members and employers. I wish in those times everyone would respect each others personal decisions.
  • ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    john22 wrote: »
    The one thing I do hate is when it becomes them and us between union members, non union members and employers. I wish in those times everyone would respect each others personal decisions.

The non-member "personal decision" should be to think long and hard about working in an organised workplace where they enjoy the benefits paid for by the subscription paying colleagues.

These terms of service they enjoy are paid for by other people, they don't magically appear.
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport