Forum Home» Over 50s Money Saving

Transfer house deeds after wife passes advice please.

New Post Advanced Search

Transfer house deeds after wife passes advice please.

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Over 50s Money Saving
5 replies 3.1K views
Youngones77Youngones77 Forumite
3 posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Over 50s Money Saving
Hello and thank you for reading my post. I'm posting to gain some advice on behalf of a friend. His wife passed away in June 2015, they both purchased together her mothers council house, with agreement that she and her husband could live there until they passed or went into care. Sadly his wife passed just before her mum, he gained the house back and now lives in it. He needs to transfer the deeds from his late wife's name into his, she left no will and he inherited everything as her husband, they have no children. Is there an easy way to do this online? Or does he need a solicitor to do this for him? and if so how much would this cost roughly as he is a pensioner on a low income. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• antrobusantrobus Forumite
    17.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ... Sadly his wife passed just before her mum, he gained the house back and now lives in it. He needs to transfer the deeds from his late wife's name into his, she left no will and he inherited everything as her husband, they have no children. ...

Letters of administration. Probate.

See: How to apply for probate or letters of administration
    https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/family/death-and-wills/dealing-with-the-financial-affairs-of-someone-who-has-died/

You can DIY. A fee is payable. A solicitor will do it for you. They should quote you a fee if asked.
  • edited 9 August 2017 at 9:43PM
    3 posts
    edited 9 August 2017 at 9:43PM
    Hi Antrobus, thank you for your reply, I've had a quick read on the citizens advice page you added. Would he need to apply for letters of administration when he is her husband and they have no children, she had none in her previous marriage either. Am I wrong in thinking he automatically inherits everything and would just need to produce marriage and death certificates? They had joint bank accounts etc. I'm a little out of my depth here just trying to help save him money from horrendous solicitors fees! Surely under the rules of Intestacy it should be pretty straight forward? If only they put the house in both names when they purchased it, would of saved a lot of hassle lol! Thank you.
  • MojisolaMojisola Forumite
    34.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    they both purchased together her mothers council house

Sadly his wife passed just before her mum

Wasn't his mother-in-law also an owner of the house - usually only the tenant has the right to buy the house.
  • edited 9 August 2017 at 10:56PM
    3 posts
    edited 9 August 2017 at 10:56PM
    As far as he remembers it was purchased by them in the mother in laws name then transferred to his late wife, I think he needs to make an application to the land registry to check! Thanks for pointing that out Mojisola! Update have check the land reg site its in his late wife's name.
  • Land_RegistryLand_Registry Organisation Representatives - Private Messages may not be monitored
    4.3K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    He will need letters of administration as the property forms part of her estate. Letters of A are applied for/obtained when there is no will (probate when there is)

He can then transfer the legal title as the administrator to himself as beneficiary. Forms AS1 and AP1 are needed and our online guidance explains this in more detail
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Land Registry. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to [email protected] This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support