New puppy

Options
Our brand new 8 week bichon puppy has come to her new home. 🐕 Unfortunately the family who bred her didn't microchip her. Does anyone know the best value place for us to get it done in Manchester. Any advice on training a new puppy also greatly appreciated.

Comments

• thorsoak
    thorsoak Posts: 7,166 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You should not have been sold a puppy under 8 weeks - and it is a legal requirement for the breeder to microchip all puppies before they go to their new homes.

It sounds as if you have bought from either a back-yard breeder or a puppy farm. Please take your puppy to the vet asap, ask for a full medical check as well as microchipping, and ensure that you do not take the puppy out on the ground before it has its full set of vaccinations.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,227 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Yes, all puppies must be microchipped by the breeder by the time they are 8 weeks old and before they are sold.
  • Soot2006
    Soot2006 Posts: 2,167 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Indeed they must be chipped however this one is not, so best get it done! Don't let it ruin your enjoyment of the new puppy - council can go after the breeder if you want to point them in the right direction.

Dog's Trust often have free microchipping days and many vets do it very cheap. Vet will also know where the cheapest deal is to be had so ring around. I do echo the recommendation to get a full health check and some prescription wormers into your puppy. If the breeder didn't microchip, there's every chance they scrimped on other aspects of early puppy care! Hopefully he is healthy and well on his way to a better life now x
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,578 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Ask at vets and other dog owners for info on dog training
    Dogs Trust also has classes: details here:
    http://www.dogstrustdogschool.org.uk/dog-school/manchester/

If you contact Dogs Trust they may be able to point you in the direction of free microchipping

Vets4Pets -
    there are some in the Manchester area- have a vacc for life program. Can't see the price of chips 'though
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,30 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=164 £86 spent!!!
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Any advice on training a new puppy also greatly appreciated.

Didn't you research this before deciding whether you could manage a puppy?
  • Caroline_a
    Caroline_a Posts: 4,071 Forumite
    Options
    Jobs to do -

1 Register pup with vet

2 Insure pup

3 Book vaccinations and microchipping with vet. Good vets will usually do a rough health check at this time.

4 Research dog training in local area for when pup is old enough to take out after vaccinations.

It sounds as if you haven't bought from a reputable breeder -
    Unfortunately the family who bred her didn't microchip her.

However it's not the end of the world provided she's healthy and you follow the steps above. I'm guessing you're not experienced dog owners?
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,714 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    If I'd just bought a new pet - especially a very young one - I don't think I'd be looking for a 'best value' place to get it micro-chipped.

I'd be looking for a veterinary surgery - from recommendations if possible - that would check my pet out and that I could trust to look after my pet through its life (or as long as I lived in that area).
  • chris_n_tj
    chris_n_tj Posts: 2,659 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 10 August 2017 at 10:26PM
    Options
    Bichon Frise Puppies at just 8 weeks old are usually to small to be microchipped. A good breeder would know that and also tell the new owner. Most Vets wont Chip until Puppy is a certain weight. Ollie wasn't chipped until he was 18 weeks, (I followed the Vets advice) So don't worry about the chip until puppy is big enough to have one, your Vet will advise when. Like others have said, take Puppy to Vet ASAP to get it checked out and sort out insurance ASAP. Lastly enjoy your puppy. Bichons are brilliant dogs, I have 2 laid out on my knee as I type lol. We have had Bichons for the last 15+ years x
    https://www.vettimes.co.uk/news/microchip-in-puppys-brain-prompts-rvc-warning/
    RIP TJ. You my be gone, but never forgotten. Always in our hearts xxx
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
    You are his life, his love, his leader.
    He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
    You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
  • bugslet
    bugslet Posts: 6,874 Forumite
    Options
    I wondered about that chrisntj. The first thing I thought was that chipping an 8 week old small breed would not be fun for the dog.

I bought a pup last year that had a chip, but she was 16 weeks by then and a giant schnauzer, so no problems there, but previous small dogs, I have waited till 4-6 months before chipping. I remember asking the vet on with one of the dogs and them saying that they would wait a few more weeks.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,714 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    bugslet wrote: »
    I wondered about that chrisntj. The first thing I thought was that chipping an 8 week old small breed would not be fun for the dog.

I bought a pup last year that had a chip, but she was 16 weeks by then and a giant schnauzer, so no problems there, but previous small dogs, I have waited till 4-6 months before chipping. I remember asking the vet on with one of the dogs and them saying that they would wait a few more weeks.
    How does that work for kittens?

I've read that it's OK to microchip kittens from 5 weeks old.
    Would a Bichon Frise puppy be any/much smaller than a 5 week old kitten?

I'm not disputing anything, just curious. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure