PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Do you shop weekly or monthly?

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    :p I'm a singleton, what the heck would I be using a shopping trolley for?! A basket is plenty.

Plenty for how long?
  • Doom_and_Gloom
    Doom_and_Gloom Posts: 4,695 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited 7 August 2017 at 4:25PM
    Options
    Like LameWolf I do the basket on lap as going a around, the wheelchair trolleys are arctic trucks and best avoided in my opinion. We do a trolley/big shop once a month or so now. I have a wheelchair backpack, an under bag and have two cloth bags. OH will usually bring a bag also. We only ever need all bags when we have used a trolley.
    There are two of us and we shop 2-5 times a week depending, I eat a lot of fruit and vegetables but most can last more than a few days. We don't have a car.

We do have two chinchillas but we buy their food and sand in bulk online. Their hay is bought when they are down to the bag we are using and one more bag. Again buy in bulk. Treats bought when I deem the jar to be too low so they don't run out.
    I am a vegan woman. My OH is a lovely omni guy :D
  • Feral_Moon
    Feral_Moon Posts: 2,943 Forumite
    Options
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    :p I'm a singleton, what the heck would I be using a shopping trolley for?! A basket is plenty.

Actually, I have just acquired (50p, from a chazzer) a tall, narrow basket which fits perfectly into my pushbike's basket. I shopped with it two nights ago, put my goods into it, offloaded onto the conveyor, showed its emptiness to the cashier and re-loaded it. Simplicity itself.

Advantage for me being that I knew that what I'd bought was a perfect fit for the carrying capacity on the pushbike.

I'm single yet still manage to fill a shallow trolley to overflowing, although that would no doubt lady at least a month with top ups for fresh food.
  • Feral_Moon
    Options
    jack_pott wrote: »
    Because the way most people signal that they aren't shoplifting is by keeping stuff they haven't paid for separate from the stuff they have.

I'm not sure what you mean by that.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 7 August 2017 at 2:40PM
    Options
    Feral_Moon wrote: »
    I'm not sure what you mean by that.

If people see you putting stuff you haven't yet paid for into your own bag rather than a supermarket trolley, how do they tell the difference between you and a shoplifter? If you act like a shoplifter you're likely to get mistaken for one.
  • Feral_Moon
    Options
    jack_pott wrote: »
    If people see you putting stuff you haven't yet paid for into your own bag rather than a supermarket trolley, how do they tell the difference between you and a shoplifter? If you act like a shoplifter you're likely to get mistaken for one.

You're not a shop lifter until you attempt to leave the store without paying for your items.
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    the wheelchair trolleys are arctic trucks and best avoided in my opinion.
    Also nigh-on impossible to clamp onto the wheelchair if you have arthritic hands - ouchy!! :eek:
    We've been to @ldi today; spent the grand sum of £9.75. They had no porage oats though; just an empty space on the shelf. :( And Mr LW does like what he calls "Oat Cuisine". :D
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • Ilona
    Ilona Posts: 2,449 Forumite
    Options
    I shop when I need some more food, on any day of the week, not weekly or fortnightly, or monthly, just any time. I am very low on food at the moment, nothing left in the fridge, so I am eating out of the freezer. I have a voucher for £6 off to use, so I want to make sure I reach a £40 spend to use it. Last time I had one I was no where near £40 and had to give up, my trolley was full of yellow stickers. :D

Ilona
    I love skip diving.
    :D
  • pineapple
    pineapple Posts: 6,931 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You could cycle round the supermarket picking stuff up, that'd be a quick shop

When I used to live in a top floor flat I would sometimes order 200 odd cans of baked beans and some 2l fizzy drinks, I'd pay £1 for delivery and they'd carry it up the stairs
    Dear me. I'm guessing your good self would not need a bike or any other form of transport. You would have your own jet propulsion! :eek:
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 8 August 2017 at 12:12PM
    Options
    Feral_Moon wrote: »
    You're not a shop lifter until you attempt to leave the store without paying for your items.

I haven't said that you are.

How is the store detective supposed to tell whether you've paid if the items have been hidden out of sight inside a private trolley along with a load of other stuff? His only option is to treat you as a potential shoplifter, search you at the door, and check everything off against your receipt.

The moment you put unpaid for items into your own trolley you make yourself look like a shoplifter, and hence invite the store detectives to treat you like one.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure