Is it possible to run Sky box from Virgin Media cabling?

This is probably a stupid question, however, try and cut a long story short...we have agreed the sale of our flat and unfortunately haven't yet found anywhere to buy so will be moving in with my parents temporarily.

I've just called Sky to cancel my services and while I can cancel the phone and broadband for a cancellation fee they're saying that's not possible for the TV and my best option is to downgrade my TV package to the minimum and continue to pay it.

My parents have Virgin Media installed in their house so I'm now wondering if there's any possible way to run my Sky+ box from their existing Virgin Media cabling? I'm guessing it's not possible but if I'm going to have to pay for it anyway then thought I'd ask the question.

Comments

• glentoran99
    glentoran99 Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Nope totally different signal
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Well try unplugging the sat cable, leave the network cable ? plugged in, and see if on demand works ? etc.

I assuming making changes to you package restarts a 12month contract??? so ensure £minimum package x 12 = less than what is left to pay currently!
  • Thanks, both. I'll give it a bash when we move back, just don't really want to pay for something that I won't be getting the use of. Why they can't just charge me a cancellation fee, I don't know!
  • robin58
    robin58 Posts: 2,802 Forumite
    Thanks, both. I'll give it a bash when we move back, just don't really want to pay for something that I won't be getting the use of. Why they can't just charge me a cancellation fee, I don't know!
    Personally they are giving you BS.

Ring Sky and demand to talk to a supervisor. Don't bother with frontline staff. Supervisors have more power.

If you want to leave their services they can't stop you. You may have to pay an exit fee. But you are willing to do that.

They may want their box back. Make sure they give you a no cost to you return label.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!! ;)
  • phillw
    phillw Posts: 5,593 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    robin58 wrote: »
    They may want their box back. Make sure they give you a no cost to you return label.

Anyone can get pre-paid returns labels for sky equipment.

https://collections.parcelforce.net/sky

I scheduled a collection for a sky router they sent me even though I'd cancelled within the cooling off period, they missed the delivery window (9:00 - 16:00) but they did turn up.

I could dropped it off, but I would have had to print the label myself.
  • Buzby
    Buzby Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    Pick up a used dish for 10 and a length of cable - a temporary install will give you the value of your payment!
  • Sparx
    Sparx Posts: 909 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Of course you can cancel the Sky TV package! Make sure they downgrade you first, if that doesn't put you in a new contract... Then ask to cancel and they'll send you a final bill after the 30 day notice period is up.

And no you can't use Virgin's coax cable to a Sky TV box. Virgin's cable goes to their own underground network etc. Sky needs it's own coax cable to a satellite dish to get the right signal to display channels.

Tip: If you have an old Sky TV box (any before the new 'Q' boxes', which are on hire agreements) when you cancel, sell it to someone for a few quid to pay off the cancellation fee.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure