EHIC / E111 Scam Website

Options
Hi All,

Just a heads up, if you're looking to renew your E111/EHIC card, be aware what appears at the top of Google results. I went to renew, assumed (stupidly in hindsight) that the first result would be a .gov or government approved site...i was wrong. So I’m now £15 short for something that should have been free.

the website in question is:
e111.org.uk

run by SEO 1 Ltd (director according to companyhouse.gov is a Mr Andrew Collins Wallace), SEO 1 Ltd also ran EHIC Ltd before it was dissolved...i have no doubt that too was a scam website too. (Note: have a look at the company accounts, this man is turning a 5 figure sum off conning people)

They're are running this scam out of an estate agents...seriously i'm not making this up, the registered address takes you to Courtneys Independent Ltd an estate agent in Bolton, if you sniff around on companyhouse website, you can see there is a pretty tangible link (shared address) between the people running these companies.

What makes it even more funny/sad, is the owner of Courtneys Independent Ltd a Mr Phillip Courtney-Clegg, was fundraising for the Harwood Methodist Church...maybe he should return to Bible study, because i'm sure Jesus didn't approve of willfully allowing someone to defraud others for money, even if it is indirectly.

All information has been sourced from public information i.e. companyhouse.gov

be careful out there, being in a rush can end up costing -_-

Comments

• Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,688 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    I thought they'd got rid of these websites.

There are lots of threads on here about these websites.

Here's one started over 7 years ago which mentions fake websites that will charge you:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2497359&highlight=ehic

Here's another started 5 years ago that says you might be able to get refund. No idea if it's still relevant but maybe worth checking.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4031333&highlight=ehic

You should also be aware that these companies didn't just limit themselves to EHIC.

They popped up on searches for:
    Passport application/ renewal
    Booking driving theory test
    Booking driving test
    Submitting tax return
    EHIC
    ESTA
    Fishing licences

and probably more that I can't remember now.
  • George_Michael
    George_Michael Posts: 4,251 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Provided that the companies concerned clearly state that they charge for their services and don't pretend to be the official sites, there is nothing that can be done to remove them.
    In the "scam" site mentioned by the OP, they couldn't really be any clearer about what they do any how much they charge and they even give details of the official website to get the card for free.

The following is all on the homepage of the company.
    Free of charge by telephone:
    By Telephone - You can telephone the NHSBSA automated EHIC Application Line on 0300 330 1350. Your application should be processed within 10 days. There will be no charge for making your application in this way.
    £2 if you use the Post office service:
    At the Post Office® - You can collect an application form and post it yourself or you can use the Post Office® Check & Send service, where they will check the application form and post the form off for you. This service offers the convenience, ease and reassurance that the form is completed correctly and the charge is £2 per application form. Your application should be processed within 21 days.
    Or online using the official website or their paid for service:
    Online - You can use the NHSBSA website which can be found at https://www.nhs.uk/ehic to apply for your EHIC. There will be no charge for making your application in this way and you should receive your card(s) within 7 working days. Alternatively you can use our application review and forwarding service. Customers utilising the E111 application service can normally expect to receive their card(s) within 7 - 10 working days. Prior to forwarding your application to the NHSBSA on the official website our staff will examine your application for errors made during the application process, such as undeliverable addresses and incorrect eligibility ages, for example. A processing fee of £14.95 will be charged to cover administrative and operational expenses.

Then at the bottom of every page (and in no way hidden):
    This website is not connected to or affiliated with the National Health Service, the Department of Health, the NHSBSA or any other official Government body. You can apply independently and free of charge for EHIC by visiting the official website which can be found here. When using this website a processing fee of £14.95 will be charged to cover administrative and operational expenses. E111 is independently owned and operated by SEO 1 Limited (Company Reg No: 07751610).

All of the information is there if only people would read it.
  • pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Just a heads up,

The Heads-up was given here via a standing article thread as long ago as 2010, along with the What to do if you have been charged by a rip-off website thread, which has been going a good while as well - meaning that even if you had made the mistake of dealing with one of these sites, the chance of recovering your money is decent.
  • wolfman47
    Options
    Like others I started to use this website (in a rush).I got as far as putting the information in and pressed apply. I pressed " agree to terms and conditions" but realised this was not the official site when I saw the fee. I went no further and subsequently went back and deleted the information provided. Does anyone know whether the company will now have my information and is it possible it could be used to open bank accounts, obtain fraudulent credit etc,? is it thought this company just "cons" you out of the £14.95 fee or is it more sinister?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure