Dealing with Lowell

Options
Hello,

New to the forum though I have browsed it time to time for advice, thanks in retrospect!

I was hoping to get some advice of my own if possible.

I would like to start squaring off my debts and there are 2 left with Lowell.

One is for an Orange account I had 5 years ago. I completely forgot about it and only recently in checking old emails did I find I had it. They are claiming 2700 (I had 3 accounts, youthful stupidity) but my emails track I was at least 8 months in to what is most likely 2 year contracts. They have offered me a settlement to about 1400 I think. I'm pretty sure the numbers don't add up for the original claim when taking in to account the values of the contracts per month. That being said the other is for a Talk Talk account I had 4 years ago, value 170, settlement offer 100 or so.

I believe I can clear these in October due to some outside assistance however, is it possible that if in contacting Lowell, by telling them this information, would they hold off any further action against me or would they disregard my offer of when to pay and further persue me?

Another question is, if they would pursue me, is there any way to hold them off from that point?

Also, if I do believe the numbers calculated are incorrect is there anything I can do?

Any advice would be very much appreciated or any kind of plan to help me as I would really like these debts to go away.

Comments

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,878 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Hi,

You can dispute the debts with Lowell by sending the "provit letter" to them, but if its the amounts owed you are disputing, then you will need to file written complaints with the original creditors as well, as they added the charges, only they can remove them.

The debts will not just "go away" i`m afraid, Lowell offer good repayment terms, but will also litigate if you choose to ignore them.

Lowell are pretty good, in that they will let you pay the discounted deal they have offered you, on a monthly basis, so you dont have to find the lump sum to pay it off.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • nextavailable
    Options
    Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I don't dispute the debts, I would very much like them paid off though.

If I contacted Lowell now stating I can pay the full amount in October, would they accept this?

I definitely don't want to ignore them any longer, I just have no idea how I go about this or how they would react.
  • nextavailable
    Options
    Also BPO hold the Talk Talk debt but say they are acting for Lowell.
  • nextavailable
    Options
    I have attached to the email screenshot in relation to the Talk Talk one

ibb. co/kt29x5
  • sourcrates
    Options
    Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I don't dispute the debts, I would very much like them paid off though.

If I contacted Lowell now stating I can pay the full amount in October, would they accept this?

I definitely don't want to ignore them any longer, I just have no idea how I go about this or how they would react.

You can contact them through there website, i suggest you do so, and make your offer to them, they can only say no, but usually if its a reasonable offer, they will agree to it.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • nextavailable
    Options
    I'm happy to pay the full settlement no problem but what is the usual response from Lowell or any DCA to a request like mine?

It's becoming something to make me worry but I don't know how reasonable they are. I just wanna "prep" myself before I speak to them.
  • sourcrates
    Options
    I'm happy to pay the full settlement no problem but what is the usual response from Lowell or any DCA to a request like mine?

It's becoming something to make me worry but I don't know how reasonable they are. I just wanna "prep" myself before I speak to them.

How long is a piece of string ?

You won't know till you ask.

You don't need to speak to them, you can message them from their website as I said before.
  • nextavailable
    Options
    Thanks for you help.

I'm sorry to ask so many questions but I am worried about this because although I have good intentions, most DCAs aren't reasonable and I've seen conflicting reports about Lowell and how they respond to bad debt.

I did just compare the reference number of Orange account on the letter they sent to the one on my emails and they don't match.

Is there a specially worded letter I can write which doesn't admit liability but asks them for information or proof?
  • sourcrates
    Options
    Thanks for you help.

I'm sorry to ask so many questions but I am worried about this because although I have good intentions, most DCAs aren't reasonable and I've seen conflicting reports about Lowell and how they respond to bad debt.

I did just compare the reference number of Orange account on the letter they sent to the one on my emails and they don't match.

Is there a specially worded letter I can write which doesn't admit liability but asks them for information or proof?

Yes, you can find it here :

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2607247
  • nextavailable
    Options
    Thank you again for your help!!

Is there any other advice you would give me in this situation?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure