Move 3 radiators

Quote for moving 3 radiators in an unfurnished, uncarpeted house.

Two were existing radiators the third, supplied by us.

No material supplied by the plumber.

£300 cash in hand. Fair?

Comments

• PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I'd not wish to pay "cash in hand" for any work that is fundamental to living conditions. What if there's a big leak, or he did it wrong? No receipt, no come back, no reputation for him to give a stuff about.

I don't know if the price is reasonable .... but I'd be wary of who I was dealing with.... if he's a legitimate tradesman, who's your brother's mate and you know others who have been happy with his work, fine.... but if he's a bloke you know as "Dave" who has given you a mobile phone number .... find somebody else.

Moving radiators isn't "critical work" - dealing with/fixing poor workmanship after he's left the area/binned the phone IS "critical work". Never pay somebody to do work on your home that might have a catastrophic outcome without fully knowing who you are dealing with.
  • stormbreaker
    stormbreaker Posts: 2,289 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 29 July 2017 at 9:59AM
    Thanks For the reply. We know him well, have used him for years, his work is neat and he is trustworthy.

Before anyone jumps the gun, the plumber will provide a receipt.

This is my sons house. My son has only just told us what he paid. I thought it a bit steep.

I don't mind paying a fair price for anything and will pay over the odds for a job well done. But moving radiators for a plumber I would have thought straight forward.

There is other plumbing work to be done that my husband and son are more than able to do.

But in the future there is a gas boiler needs moving. Normally we would go straight to him, but if he has charged over the odds for the radiators, we will get quotes from elsewhere and ask him to quote before going ahead with the job.
  • usman330
    usman330 Posts: 131 Forumite
    First Post
    seems expensive. How long will the work take, a day max?
    So i reckon £150 a day labour for a plumber is about right, plenty out there for this rate. Its not exactly a complex job especially if the house is empty. I reckon it will get done in about 5 hours or less
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure