Multiple credit cards good or bad?

Options
Good morning, Everyone

Tried to search forum for similar topics but didn't find anything. My question is: Is it good or bad for credit rating to have a multiple credit cards? I have 5 at the moment and all of them with debts free. Some lenders like Tesco bank, Sainsbury's and etc sending me pre-approved credit card offers. I do not mind to have them especially balance transfers ones but I just do not want to get into troubles with my credit rating score just before remortgage which is in 3 months time.

Have a good day Everyone :beer:

Comments

• jonesMUFCforever
    jonesMUFCforever Posts: 28,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    IMO good as long as you do not abuse the facilities and over reach financially.
    In my case I have 1 which is a BT card - one with cashback for day to day spending - Halifax clarity for overseas spending and one spare for emergencies ''just in case''.
  • binaryuniverse
    Options
    I've got 6 credit cards for various reasons.

HSBC, that I've had since I was 18, and pretty much keeping open for the account history.
    M&S. Again, had it a long time, so mainly for history. Although now and then they offer me 0% offers.
    Tesco CC for a 0% fee free balance transfer.
    Tesco CC. 0% on purchases for 28 months for stoozing. Plus clubcard points.
    Nationwide Select. 0% on purchases for 12 months. Plus 0.5% cashback.
    Amazon CC. 1.5 points per every £2 spent on Amazon (1 point elsewhere). Plus it gave me a £20 gift voucher for taking it out. 1000 points = £10 gift voucher.

Haven't paid a penny in interest for a long time now. Only 2 of them have a significant balance on.
    I don't seem to be considered an adverse risk any more. In the last 9 months I've open 4 of those credit cards and 9 current accounts. Although, unless I need another 0% purchases deal, or another bank offers a switch deal, that's me done for now.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thank you for answers! I think I will stick with cards I have at the moment!
  • chattychappy
    chattychappy Posts: 7,302 Forumite
    Options
    I have 11. Most are zero balances and I don't use them. Historically it was handy for shifting balances around as generally I got good BT offers on dormant cards.

I don't seem to have problems getting more credit if/when I need it.
  • Dandytf
    Dandytf Posts: 4,819 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    DL22 wrote: »
    Thank you for answers! I think I will stick with cards I have at the moment!
    Well done

I’ve a few cards though reducing balances until 2018
    Replenished CRA Reports.2020 Nissan Leaf 128-149 miles top charge. Savings depleted. VM Stream tv M250 Volted to M350 then M500 since returned to 1gb
  • Fireflyaway
    Fireflyaway Posts: 2,766 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I think it depends on how organised you are. For me any more than 2 would be bad news! I know I'd forget to pay one or lose one or something bad.
    My understanding is its not just the number of cards. Its how long you have them, the percentage of credit you use and total available credit. If you are are applying for a mortgage they will take into account your available credit, so if you have 10 cards each with a £1000 limit they will assume there is potential for you to owe £10,000 and will lend you less.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure