PPI caused bankruptcy

Options
When I first went ill in 2004 I used my PPI to pay my loans BUT after one year they stopped! I then had to go bankrupt as I was still on benefits.
Now I have been told that because I this I can't claim anything back. Is there anyone who would try and get this through the courts?
Btw as far as I was aware they would pay for all the time I was ill... and I am also still not working due to illness... I have ME/CFS

Thanks in advance

Kriss :)

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It doesn't sound at all as if PPI caused bankruptcy, but rather that it prevented bankruptcy for a year.

What did the policy details say?
  • SciFiKriss
    Options
    It did cause the bankruptcy as I was told that the insurance would pay my loans whilst I was ill with no time limits.
    In the policy ie the small print it did say only for one year.

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    There's no mis sale then, it did exactly what it was supposed to do and saved you going bankrupt for a year. It didn't cause it.
  • antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    Options
    SciFiKriss wrote: »
    When I first went ill in 2004 I used my PPI to pay my loans BUT after one year they stopped! I then had to go bankrupt as I was still on benefits.
    Now I have been told that because I this I can't claim anything back. Is there anyone who would try and get this through the courts?
    Btw as far as I was aware they would pay for all the time I was ill... and I am also still not working due to illness... I have ME/CFS

Thanks in advance

I do not believe that you can "claim anything back".

Even if it was the case that you had been mis-sold this PPI, for one thing it has been more than six years since you became aware of the fact the policies only paid out for a year, so any claim would now be statute barred. And for another thing, it would be a pre-bankruptcy asset, and thus belong to your creditors and not you.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Plus any redress would be set off against the amount paid out, as well as the loan that wasn't paid back.

There's a thousand reasons why this is the weakest PPI complaint of all time.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,512 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

No. The law is that you are not entitled to any redress as you went bankrupt. Plus, it doesnt even appear you were missold.

No PPI does that. So, why did you believe that when it isnt something any PPI does?
    The only thing that goes on longer is income protection. And that is not PPI.
    PPI caused bankruptcy

No it didnt. It sounds like it just delayed it by a year.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure