Router needs rebooting daily. Help please

in Techie Stuff
15 replies 2K views
sparkiemalarkiesparkiemalarkie Forumite
661 Posts
Seventh Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
✭✭
Hi, I'm with talktalk and have the fiber boost which should reach speeds of 70+mbps.

My internet was very slow so the engineer came out and decided that my router was on the way out.

He replaced the router with another one and I got speeds of 50+ mbps, but these speeds dwindle throughout the day and by morning there was no internet connection or wifi.
Once the router was turned off I managed to get 50+mbps which then slowed through out the day. When the router is turned off the speeds return

However, I have tried the reset button but that's not working- I press the button woth a thin toothpick and it will not reset the router - i need to physically switch the router off or pull out the plug.

Could this new router be faulty?
He replaced the router and lead from the bt socket but not the electric cable.....

any suggestions?

sparkie

Replies

• Geoff1963Geoff1963 Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    i need to physically switch the router off or pull out the plug
    As a workaround, could you get a mains timer plug that switches off the power at around 04:00 for a few minutes ?
  • werewere Forumite
    632 Posts
    I would suggest you post the make and model number of any device you are asking for help with, and in the future if it is a computer the version of windows too
  • sparkiemalarkiesparkiemalarkie Forumite
    661 Posts
    ✭✭
    were wrote: »
    I would suggest you post the make and model number of any device you are asking for help with, and in the future if it is a computer the version of windows too

The router is Talktalks own Super router - Huawei HG663 with the latest firmware.
    We are all using windows 10.

thanks

sparkie
  • edited 28 July 2017 at 2:54PM
    AnotherJoeAnotherJoe Forumite
    19.6K Posts
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 28 July 2017 at 2:54PM
    Ah well ive just switched to that router from a 553 on TT and the speed according to bb speed checker seems worse to me though i didnt really monitor it frequently before. But I did see speeds above 50 and with the new router its usually in the 40's. And upload speed was 15 to 20 and now its more like 10. 'm going to switch it off and on again and see what happens.

Funnily enough my old router did essentially hang a few times a day. This one hasnt done that at least its been solid.

EDIT; Switched it off/on (the universal fix for all things IT related, and who do you believe? I've tried three different speed checkers and my download varies between 30 to 69 and upload between 10 to 20.
  • Neil_JonesNeil_Jones Forumite
    6.7K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    The HG633 is littered with complaints on TalkTalk's forums, it replaced the HG635 which, despite being older, had better reviews and seemed to be more stable.

It may possibly be worth considering using your own hardware rather than what the providers send you, I always remember when I first had internet Plusnet were sending out those Technicolour TG582n modems which seemed to have a wi-fi range of about 2ft. Swapped it for my own equipment and never looked back since.
  • Strider590Strider590 Forumite
    11.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    by morning there was no internet connection or wifi.

Impossible, WiFi has nothing at all to do with the internet.

I think your problem is a WiFi problem, probably interference from neighbouring routers.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • AnotherJoeAnotherJoe Forumite
    19.6K Posts
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Strider590 wrote: »
    Impossible, WiFi has nothing at all to do with the internet.

I think your problem is a WiFi problem, probably interference from neighbouring routers.

It has a lot to,do with the router though.

To be fair when I had an issue with my last router I was able to run an analysis which advised me there was interference and suggested a channel to switch to..i presume there is a Windows function or app that will do that ? Or possibly the router control panel might have the ability to do that I haven't looked on mine.
  • edited 29 July 2017 at 7:41AM
    werewere Forumite
    632 Posts
    edited 29 July 2017 at 7:41AM
    For starters you need to find the exact device that is causing this. However you could also have 2 problems (1) slow wifi (2) internet disconnection, and may very well be unrelated to each other.

I would suggest you use an Ethernet cable as a temporary measure, and you can purchase a 50m one on ebay for about tenner and that should be long enough for the largest of rooms.

With the cable you will be testing your isp, HG663 and to some extent the router too. It splits the problem in half.

Should the cable work after testing for a good few days, then we know it is the router wifi side or PC combination.
  • sparkiemalarkiesparkiemalarkie Forumite
    661 Posts
    ✭✭
    Thank you were.
    We have 3 computers and a youview box.
    All 4 are connected by Ethernet leads.One computer is less than 3 m from the router and still sees the speed slow down to stop.

We are noticing the wifi drop out on phones and Nowtv box.

This morning before rebooting the router we have some improvement . The speeds are
    Ping 10ms
    Download 0.49mbps
    Upload 8.91 mbps (this is normal for us)

Last night the download speeds were about 25mbps but for approx. 3 hours after rebooting they were 50+mbps.

All tested with a direct connection to the router.
    I also have an Echo dot that has lost wifi connection this morning.

sparkie

• However, I have tried the reset button but that's not working- I press the button woth a thin toothpick and it will not reset the router - i need to physically switch the router off or pull out the plug.

Have you pressed and held the reset button until it resets i.e. 10 seconds?

Could this new router be faulty?
    He replaced the router and lead from the bt socket but not the electric cable.....

any suggestions?

Try using your old router - new is not always better!

sparkie
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides