Eon smart gas meter displaying kwh

Options
Hi everyone,

My Eon smart gas meter displays the meter reading in kWh and not m3. I am having real difficulty providing meter readings to the Co-op who I am with now, which today ended up in a rather rude lady telling me I was sending in meter readings from my electricity meter rather than the gas meter! She then emailed asking for photos of both meters which I sent and have had no reply. These clearly show both meters are displaying kWh for the readings. The gas meter is outside and has a flame on the display, the electricity meter is inside with a lightning symbol on the display.

Does anyone know how I can convert a gas meter reading of 11013 kWh to m3 please. I would be really grateful as I have just requested a switch to flow and need to provide correct readings. Many thanks.

Comments

• MothballsWallet
    MothballsWallet Posts: 15,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 27 July 2017 at 9:09PM
    Options
    Perhaps the lady at the Co-op needs retraining? Suppliers have used kWh for electricity and gas, converting the gas readings to kWh from the meter units, for years now!

Also, if you've switched suppliers, the Eon meter may have reverted back to "dumb" mode. Do you have smart electric and gas meters and do you mean the in home display (IHD) is showing 11013?

I know the formula to convert the gas usage from m3 to kWh is this one:
    kWh = (((m3 * 1.02264) * CV) / 3.6)

Where:
    • kWh = gas usage in kWh
    • m3 = gas usage in m3
    • CV = Calorific Value*
    * The Calorific Value indicates how much energy is in the gas supplied, the is provided by National Grid on their website here.

It gets more complex as the value can and does differs by region and day.

However, there is another option, which is much simpler - use your most recent bill / statement as that should give you the CV value your supplier has used.

So, reversing the formula gives me the following:
    m3 = (((kWh / 1.02264) / CV) * 3.6)

Before you use it, please wait for someone else to comment to make sure I've got the maths right because I've probably made a mistake somewhere.
  • Rubidium
    Rubidium Posts: 663 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Read the actual gas meter and put the in home display in the bin where it belongs!
  • Lissali1
    Options
    Hi, thanks for the replies. It is the display on the actual meter not the home display unfortunately.

That is some maths I need to get my head round but thank you I will look at my last bill for the cv.

It was being told I didn't know the difference between my gas and electricity meter that really astounded me and the way it was put across, also the fact I have had no reply to the photos I sent back.
  • Rubidium
    First Post
    Options
    Lissali1 wrote: »
    Hi, thanks for the replies. It is the display on the actual meter not the home display unfortunately.

That is some maths I need to get my head round but thank you I will look at my last bill for the cv.

It was being told I didn't know the difference between my gas and electricity meter that really astounded me and the way it was put across, also the fact I have had no reply to the photos I sent back.

Can you post your picture of this gas meter on the forum please?

You will need to upload it to a hosting site like tinypic or imgur and post the link on the forum with some spaces added so that the forum does not recognise the url as a valid url as you are a new user.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    kWh = (((m3 * 1.02264) * CV) / 3.6)

1.02264 is the volume conversion factor, which can vary according to the subscribers location (it takes account of any difference between the mean temperature and pressure at the meter and at the lab where the CV of the gas is measured). The OP needs to check the bill to find the correct VCF.
  • Lissali1
    Options
    Hi

Here you go, hope this helps. Thanks
    [u r l ]h ttp://imgur.com/a/[/url]5TxDB
  • northwalesd
    northwalesd Posts: 1,168 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    It's a Liberty EG4v 10

http://imgur.com/a/5TxDB
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,873 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 27 July 2017 at 10:40PM
    Options
    What do you get when you press button 9 once ? It should give you the meter read in m3.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,873 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    jack_pott wrote: »
    1.02264 is the volume conversion factor, which can vary according to the subscribers location (it takes account of any difference between the mean temperature and pressure at the meter and at the lab where the CV of the gas is measured). The OP needs to check the bill to find the correct VCF.
    The volume correction factor of 1.02264 is a constant, the CV is variable.
  • Rubidium
    First Post
    Options
    Lissali1 wrote: »
    Hi

Here you go, hope this helps. Thanks
    [u r l ]h ttp://imgur.com/a/[/url]5TxDB

Thanks.

I believe that if you press the 9 button it will toggle between Volume - M3 and kWh.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure