PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Land Registry questions

Options

Comments

• clairesmitht
    Options
    Hi

Can someone help?

My father left a house to his children in his will, however the house was jointly owned to my father and mother ( not together ) .. does the will override the land registry and joint ownership?
  • da_rule
    da_rule Posts: 3,618 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi

Can someone help?

My father left a house to his children in his will, however the house was jointly owned to my father and mother ( not together ) .. does the will override the land registry and joint ownership?

It depends how they owned it. If they were tenants in common then the ownership passes as per the will. If they were joint tenants then the will doesn't apply.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options

No otherwise you could leave Buckingham Palace to your children and the Queen would be out on her ear.
    If they were tenants in common then the children will get his 50% (unles sthey held it in different proportions), if they were joint tenants then it passes to wife outside the will.
  • clairesmitht
    Options
    Hi,

Does a will override a joint ownership?

My mum & dad own a house ( separated) my mum was living in the house and my dad has passed away. The house was left to the children however mum believes it is hers from
    Joint ownership

Can someone help?
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Hi,

My mum & dad own a house ( separated) my mum was living in the house and my dad has passed away. The house was left to the children however mum believes it is hers from
    Joint ownership

Can someone help?

JOint ownership can be severed without updating the Land registry.

eg if there were mirror will that both left the shares to the children that would be reasonable indicator that there was intent to sever the tenancy.

A will can't override the joint tenancy on its own by just saying there is a legacy of something that is not part of the distributable estate.
  • da_rule
    da_rule Posts: 3,618 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi,

Joint ownership

Can someone help?

As per the above two answers to the same question it boils down to what type of joint ownership they had. Joint tenants or tenants in common.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    JOint ownership can be severed without updating the Land registry.

eg if there were mirror will that both left the shares to the children that would be reasonable indicator that there was intent to sever the tenancy.

A will can't override the joint tenancy on its own by just saying there is a legacy of something that is not part of the distributable estate.

If it said "my share of the house" yes. If it just said "the house" then no. IMHO of course.
  • tracey29
    Options
    Thank you for all of your help - I really appreciate all of your help.
  • laskoibence
    Options
    Hello everyone,

We are buying a house, currently we are at the last stages, but I have received a mail last week, that there is a restriction in the land registry, which has to be removed before we can exchange.

How much time does it take usually? And how can I check if the solicitor is working on it already?

Thanks in advance :beer:
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello everyone,

We are buying a house, currently we are at the last stages, but I have received a mail last week, that there is a restriction in the land registry, which has to be removed before we can exchange.

How much time does it take usually? And how can I check if the solicitor is working on it already?

Thanks in advance :beer:
    Duplicate thread.

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5889917
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family