MSE News: Banks to be forced to publish service data under new plans from regulator

Former_MSE_Rosie
Former_MSE_Rosie Posts: 105 Forumite
I've been Money Tipped! Newshound! Best Buy Bear
edited 26 July 2017 at 4:49PM in Budgeting & bank accounts
Consumers will soon be given a clear idea of how the services offered by banks and building societies differ, if new plans from the Financial Conduct Authority to make it easier to compare current accounts are given the go-ahead...
Read the full story:
'Banks to be forced to publish service data under new plans from regulator'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
Join the MSE Forum
Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com

Comments

• robin58
    robin58 Posts: 2,802 Forumite
    Why? Personally I would rather know why they shut accounts without notice, charge ridiculous overdraft fees and how they ask you security questions about things in your life like what's your driving licence number when you never supplied that information when you applied for an account with them in the first place..

Yet another OF... quango chasing the wrong things. As always it nodoubt will cost me somewhere down the line.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!! ;)
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 30,938 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    robin58 wrote: »
    Why? Personally I would rather know why they shut accounts without notice, charge ridiculous overdraft fees and how they ask you security questions about things in your life like what's your driving licence number when you never supplied that information when you applied for an account with them in the first place..
    They'll shut accounts without notice if they have reasonable grounds to believe that there's suspicious activity, and it would be unreasonable to expect banks to divulge security-related information where that very act would compromise security - it's not really too hard to imagine the consequences of a league table showing Bank A with a visibly lower level of security than Bank B....

There would be no particular benefit in knowing why they charge overdraft fees that you don't like - all banks publish their fees already so there's no need for any additional disclosure on that one.
    robin58 wrote: »
    Yet another OF... quango chasing the wrong things. As always it nodoubt will cost me somewhere down the line.
    Personally I think it's a step in the right direction, in that it increases the amount of useful data available to prospective customers. More to the point, they're quantifiable and objective measures rather than the woolly MSE poll view of service based on subjective opinions from good to bad, and hence the stated objective of
    We want to improve competition in the current account market by:

• making it easier for customers to make informed comparisons and choose the provider that best suits their needs based on service, and

• incentivising BCA and PCA providers to improve their service and performance

I take it you'll be feeding back constructive comments as part of the consultation process?
    We are asking for comments on this Consultation Paper (CP) by 25 September 2017.

You can send them to us using the form on our website at: https://www.fca.org.uk/your-fca/documents/consultation-papers/cp17-24-response-form

Or in writing to:

Rebecca Langford
    Banking and Payments Policy Team
    Financial Conduct Authority
    25 The North Colonnade
    Canary Wharf
    London
    E14 5HS

Telephone: 0207 066 0532

Email: cp17-24@fca.org.uk
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors