Extra charges added to my Degree?

Options
Good evening all,

I am hoping someone is able to please put my mind at rest.

I have done 1 year with the Open University, with the plan to move to a "Brick" University this September as I don't have any A-Levels. I applied for a course with Manchester Metropolitan which is BSc Exercise and Sport Science (Distance Learning). When I applied, the website stated that the cost would be as follows:

Distance learning fee: £1290 per 30 credits studied per year. This tuition fee is agreed subject to UK government approval, and may increase each academic year in line with inflation or UK government policy.

Additional Costs
All of the books required for the course are available from the library. The University also has PC labs and a laptop loan service. However, many students choose to buy some of the core textbooks for the course and/or a laptop. Students may also need to print their assignments and other documents. Campus printing costs start from 5p per page. Estimated costs are £300 for a laptop up to £100 each year for books and printing. Total optional cost: £600

It also indicates that there is to be 2 x 3 day and 2 times 5 day residential, but mentions no cost for these. I completed the condition of my offer and emailed it through to them last week. I am yet to have a reply however I have applied for student finance.

I got my SFE letter through and has stated the cost of my course is £6935 for the year - for 90 credits. I phoned Student Finance, and they have said this is the info MMU have provided and it is correct.

I re-checked the MMU website, and on the 2018 entry page for the same course I have found it states a cost for the residential courses (£1600 for the 4 courses in total, and then extra on top for accommodation and food). Not only that, but it states that course fees will be £2312.50 per 30 credits studied per year. This is substantially more, but works out the same as what SFE are trying to charge me for 90 credits.

I am currently tearing my hair out here, because there is no way on EARTH I can afford to fork out £1600 for residential course + whatever this will cost me for accommodation. Why have the fees also gone up so much, and can they do this? When I applied for the course it was £1290 per 30 credits, so I don't understand how they can justify putting up the price for a *distance learning* course by over £3000 a year and then expect us to shell out for the residential that they did not tell me I would have to pay for!

Where do I stand? What can I do? Will SFE pay for the residential, because I sure can't :( surely they cannot charge me for a residential course if they didn't state it would cost?

Thanks all,

Susan

Comments

• silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,965 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Ask MMU if they have any funding available for the courses.

As for the basic course fee, I think you are stuck with that. They have notified you before the course starts so you can't be taken unaware.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,287 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Are you commited to the course at MMU?

You have completed a year with the OU: that is a real achievement and should give you a reasonable choice of universities. So look for something that suits you, both in financial and academic terms.

An immediate thought: does distance learning suit you, or would you prefer physically studying at a "bricks and mortar" campus? If you want to study in "distance" mode, why not remain with the OU?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure