Will an Inflatable Buster Collar Stop a Dog Scratching & Licking - thoughts /advice?

OnAndUp
OnAndUp Posts: 981 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
edited 21 July 2017 at 7:00PM in Pets & pet care
Hi all :)

Very long time no post, hope everyone is doing OK.

My dog is having a really bad spell with licking and scratching her front "armpits", and seems to be stuck in an itch scratch cycle, so probably making it worse herself.

I'm considering buying one of these to make her wear in the house for a while, to see if it stops her doing it, so the area can heal.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Buster-279805-Inflatable-Collar-M/dp/B007GH3UES/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1500659510&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=inflatable+buste4r+collar

71dksPkBjBL._SL1400_.jpg

(whoa didn't expect it to show THAT big!! :rotfl: )

Has anyone tried one for that reason - did it help at all?

Do you have any other suggestions to stop her scratching and licking?

Thanks! :T
"Things can only get better.................c/o D:Ream #The 90's :D"

Comments

• doglover86
    doglover86 Posts: 56 Forumite
    An inflatable collar might help - but do you know what's causing the problem? Gluten sensitivity is quite common in dogs and can cause itchy skin - could be worth trying her on a gluten free diet if there's no other obvious cause to see if it subsides? I can recommend some good foods and treats that I've fed to my dog if you need.

Might also be worth looking into anti-scratch spray too, should help her to let the area calm down.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,056 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    You need to find out the cause and deal with that.

Imagine being constantly itchy and unable to scratch it.
  • We bought some pet wet wipes that I think had witch hazel (but don't quote me on that!) which helped our beagle
  • thorsoak
    thorsoak Posts: 7,166 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    OnAndUp wrote: »
    Hi all :)

Very long time no post, hope everyone is doing OK.

My dog is having a really bad spell with licking and scratching her front "armpits", and seems to be stuck in an itch scratch cycle, so probably making it worse herself.

I'm considering buying one of these to make her wear in the house for a while, to see if it stops her doing it, so the area can heal.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Buster-279805-Inflatable-Collar-M/dp/B007GH3UES/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1500659510&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=inflatable+buste4r+collar

71dksPkBjBL._SL1400_.jpg

(whoa didn't expect it to show THAT big!! :rotfl: )

Has anyone tried one for that reason - did it help at all?

Do you have any other suggestions to stop her scratching and licking?

Thanks! :T
    I bought one of these a couple of years ago, when Freya (elderly labrador) had a procedure under anaesthetic to wash out her ear canal - I had to continue to wash it out and stop her scratching and she wore this quite happily for nearly three weeks - and I've loaned it out to others - dogs accept it far more happily than the Cone of Shame! It stopped one girl from licking her stitches after a speying, another from biting their bum/back - I would recommend it every time.
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,538 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    What colour is your dog?

Sounds like a silly question but white coated dogs seem more prone to skin allergies.
    You might look at Camrosa ointment or Anicura to calm down the area

My girl seemed to develop hot spots in the groin which she licked a lot: I found a little Sudocrem and an antihistamin tablet did the trick. Luckily it cleared up quickly and I have no idea what had caused the problem.
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!
    If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Many thanks
    -Stash busting: 337 in 2022
    Stash busting: in 2023. 120 doggy duvets, 24 shopping bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lavender bags,36 crochet angels,9 woven bones, 1 crochet knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramid pouches = total 420...£119.50 spent- £114.50 earned= total spend £5. Total earned for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets, 24 pyramid pouches, 6 hot water bottle covers, 4 knitted beanies, 1 crochet angel= 58 £61 spent!!! already
  • gettingready
    gettingready Posts: 11,330 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    what type of dog do you have?

If it is the long face/nose type than this particular collar will be no good.

This one is much better
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Comfy-Cone-Large-25-cm/dp/B000XY7CKE/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1501082155&sr=1-1&keywords=comfy+cone

It is padded. soft, dogs can lie down easily having that one on and it is long enough to cover to the end of the nose so they can not lick/scratch themselves while wearing this.

The one you posted may be ok for dogs with short type of faces.
  • OnAndUp
    OnAndUp Posts: 981 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Thank you all for responding, appreciate your thoughts! :T

She is white and fawn, is already on a good quality fish and potato food. She is getting checked out too, I just want to try and stop her aggravating the area. Will look into some of the suggestions including the other style collar - thanks! :)
    "Things can only get better.................c/o D:Ream #The 90's :D"
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,056 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    A child's t shirt would be more comfortable to wear.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure