PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

How do you list your storecupboard items

Options

Comments

• YorksLass
    YorksLass Posts: 1,714 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    caronc wrote: »
    If I ever get my freezer contents to more manageable levels I would like to have specific shelves for specific things:)

Don't want to disappoint you caronc, that's definitely "pie in the sky" thinking! :D
    LameWolf wrote: »
    I have become an expert at Freezer Tetris. :rotfl:

Same here. ;)
    karcher wrote: »
    I just open the cupboard/fridge/freezer door and have a look :o:D

I open the cupboard door and it all falls on the floor! :D Vast improvement though over the last couple of months since I started making a conscious effort to use up what I alread have before buying more.

As most others here, a spreadsheet on the pc / printed off / copy blu-tacked to front of door for fridge and freezer, inside of cupboard doors.
    Be kind to others and to yourself too.
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    <winces, somewhat>
    OK, I'll go away & try. Mostly as the idea of being able to hand a list of what is in the freezer or fridge to a teenage son & saying you choose (& cook) is a glorious dream!
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Owain_Moneysaver Posts: 11,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 21 July 2017 at 7:57PM
    Options
    I have fridge magnets on the door of the freezer with the names of things printed on them, arranged to correspond with the drawers.

When something runs out I move its magnet to a column on the fridge door labelled "shopping list".

Anyone who wanted to follow a more technically advanced similar system could take a photo of the shopping list magnets on their mobile phone.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • Chris25
    Chris25 Posts: 12,918 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    if you have a look on Pinterest you'll find loads of printable, editable, 'pantry lists' which you can stick on inside of cupboard door or on front of fridge etc.
  • Tink_04
    Tink_04 Posts: 1,204 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I take a photo of my cupboard before I go shopping - it's quite well lid out and I don't have it rammed full so it's easy to see .... the freezer well that's anyone's guess!!
    Living the simple life
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,157 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    And me. I have items in a certain place in all cupboards. Tinned goods are in lines, so I can see at a glance if I need more tinned tomatoes or baked beans. Top drawer of the freezer is devoted to DD's veggie stuff, 2nd drawer potato products and veg, 3rd any convenience type food and 4th largest drawer to meat. I just open and look when I write the following week's shopping list.
  • Ilona
    Ilona Posts: 2,449 Forumite
    Options

Same here, single person, it's easy, can't be bothered with lists. I have four freezer drawers, veg, bread, home made stews, veggie burgers etc. Cupboards have no more that 15 tins, a few packets, rice, pasta, cereals, nuts. Another cupboard with cartons milk and juice. I eat mainly from the fridge so that needs replenishing on a regular basis. Don't take a list shopping, it's in my head, easy for one person.

Ilona
    I love skip diving.
    :D
  • Linda32
    Linda32 Posts: 4,385 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have a piece of paper on the fridge door. If I open something and want another one I write it on the list.
  • ouraggie
    ouraggie Posts: 291 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I keep a notebook in the kitchen, with a page for each month in order, (first page currently titled July 2017 and book goes up to Dec 2021). When I buy a tin, jar, bottle, packet etc of food I write it down on the relevant page as I put my shopping away. So if I buy a jar of D*lmio with BB date of Nov 2018 I write it on the page for Nov 2018. I check my notebook regularly and use things in notebook order. My other half has no knowledge of this book; I just say to him "I fancy a Dopiaza tonight". He has no idea our menus/contents of the treat jar/his packed lunch depends on what needs eating up this month! I started this system as I was fed up of finding out of date things in food cupboards. I find it often helps me think what to have for dinners this week. I plan my menus then just shop for the missing bits!
    For the freezer, I have another notebook, with pages headed with things like bread/meat/sunday joints /desserts/packed lunch stuff. When I put anything in the freezer I add it to the relevant page and put today's date. This system means everything is logged in date order. Every now and then I go through the lists and we eat anythng that's been in there for a while. I did attempt to train OH to cross off anything he removed, but he always forgot and I got fed up looking for things that he'd already defrosted and eaten!So this book is only seen by me now too.
  • silver-oldie
    silver-oldie Posts: 1,007 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I always have a sharpie pen in the kitchen and mark Best Before / Use By dates on fridge and store cupboard stuff.
    I find it's easy to see what needs to be used.
    I find the older I get the smaller the print :D sometimes need my glasses AND a magnifier :eek:
    If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure