Forum Home» Motoring» Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking

F1rst parking university parking fine - Page 2

New Post Advanced Search

F1rst parking university parking fine

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking
22 replies 6.7K views

Replies

• Hi, the university responded to the letter by saying I am still liable for the fine as I didn't hold a permit at the time and that there is clear signage. The court letter says that I am the registered keeper of the car but I am not but I stupidly accepted fault when I appealed earlier on. Do you think I have a case to defend or should I pay the fine. Thanks
  • waamowaamo Forumite
    9.6K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Of course you have a case. Have you read the Newbies thread?
    This space for hire.
  • Yes just read through it all right now. Is the county court business centre an online court?
  • UmkomaasUmkomaas Forumite
    28.6K posts
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maysep1 wrote: »
    Yes just read through it all right now. Is the county court business centre an online court?

No it's an administration centre where they deal with incoming claims and divvy them out to those being pursued. The case will be heard at a county court local to you.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask.
    Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
  • edited 30 September 2017 at 12:15PM
    Coupon-madCoupon-mad Forumite
    85.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 30 September 2017 at 12:15PM
    He advised me to pay the £185 or I will get a ccj against my name.
    He advised you VERY badly, you do not get a poxy CCJ even if you lose at the hearing!
    Do you guys think I should pay the £185 or go to court?
    Let's see...ummmmm...we win over 99% of defended cases, just ONE lost in over a year (no, he didn't get a CCJ nor a higher charge/costs). Pay £185 or fight and pay nothing? I know which I would choose!
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Deleted thanks! what should I say in court.
  • Half_wayHalf_way Forumite
    5.4K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    who is calling this a fine? the university?
    From the Plain Language Commission:

"The BPA has surely become one of the most socially dangerous organisations in the UK"
  • edited 30 September 2017 at 12:23PM
    Coupon-madCoupon-mad Forumite
    85.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 30 September 2017 at 12:23PM
    Exactly, and it's up to F1rst to win at a hearing and you can defend, and the Judge will decide and that will be that (think Judge Rinder without the wisecracks!).

Don't be dragged down by what some clueless person wrongly told you. Which will be your local court, based on the address the claim form was issued to for you? Some are very good at sussing the failures and harassment of private parking firms.
    f1rst parking is taking it to court. Ive just got a letter in the post from the county court business centre for £160 and £25 court fees. What do I do, will this go on my credit file?
    Nope. It doesn't as long as you don't ignore it, and defend it, and be ready to turn up to your local court in the end to put your case (think of it as a life experience!). A losing party just pays of the Judge says so and nothing appears on any file (that happens to people if they ignore or miss a court deadline, and that will not be you).

Tell us when you've done the AOS online, and then read some defences and show us your own draft based on those because your defence must go in within a month of that claim form as long as you do the AOS to buy yourself that time.

You can do this - two *ordinary* people here won in court only yesterday at St Helens and Preston, so where will your local court be?
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • toratoratoratora Forumite
    3 posts
    Hi, I have a similar problem. In the Easter Holiday, I parked in a uni carpark for which I have a permit. It allows students to park there is they are postgraduates with children under 5 years old, with a valid permit. I have said permit but on this particular day, I had a flat battery and drove my partner's car to uni. I hadn't pre-registered this other car onto the permit and didn't even think to do so. I paid for parking using my ringo account that has both vehicles registered onto it.

I then received a letter saying I hadn't paid valid payment/had a valid permit, demanding a £40 fine, increasing to £80 if I didn't pay and so I replied to this with a copy of my parking session from Ringo, stating I had a valid parking ticket, as that is what I thought it was about. I didn't think any more until today when I received a letter from a debt collection agency charging me £150! When I looked up on the university website, it dawned on me this is all down to not pre-registering the other car.

This is a genuine human error because of the wording of the original correspondence. The lack of a phone number to help get to the bottom of it means things are now escalating at a silly rate. Does anyone have any advice?